Re: Sandy's inane maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 06:51:21 -0800

Charlie Domino:
>I'm interested in the cult of Humakt write-up

        To keep from taking up space in the Digest, I've mailed this directly to you.

>and in the "world filler" that other authors have come up with.

        Huh?

>and also the various ruins on the Dragon Pass map. I saw one
>explanation about the Smoking Ruins, none about the others.

        The Falling Ruins are a strange haunted structure dating from the Second Age. The ruins are full of large towers and other tall structures. During the course of the day, these towers keep falling down, presenting a significant danger to anyone within the ruins at the time. Even when they don't fall down, they creak and sway back and forth. Sadly, the very best treasures in the ruins are all found _atop_ these various towers. By the end of the day, most (but not all) have collapsed. During the night, a grinding noise can be heard as the towers build themselves back up again. It is _far_ more dangerous to be in the ruins at night than it is during the day. A party of adventurers in my own campaign climbed up one of the towers and found a garden all made of metal. Copper grass, bronze tree bark, silver leaves, golden fruit. It was actually quite difficult to navigate, because you couldn't just walk across the grass (your feet would be cut to ribbons -- it would be like walking across a field of scalpels).

Takehiro Ohya:
>I have some questions about the Cult of Crimson Bat
>First, about the allied spirits of the cult. Is it still the
>minibat of RQ2, or else?

        Yes. Not all crimson bat cultists get one of the minibats, though.

>Second, about the Seven Mothers. Are they still associated for the
>Bat, and providing Mindblast? Or they only admit the cultists to
>join their cult and providing their Rune Magics as per normal
>intiates?

        The Seven Mothers are only technically associated with the bat. Most of the bat's priests were already members of some other Lunar cult before they became bat tenders. Their old spells don't go away, though they can no longer sacrifice for them (they can, however, pray for their renewal).

>Third, about the spell Glowspot. It is 3 point spell, right?

        Yes, but none of the Bat's spells need obey the normal lunar cycle, _unless_ the Bat has been dispelled from the mundane plane, in which case all spells of his cult can be cast following normal Lunar cycles, but these spells _cannot_ be renewed by prayer, nor can new ones be sacrificed for.

>I cannot believe that onion have Umami. The Umami is contained,
>say, in Soy-source (a Japanese source made from soybeans), all
>fishes and meats, some seaweeds, and so forth.

        There are chemicals which act as flavor enhancers. The same chemical which causes certain seaweed to act as an enhancer is found in green peas. Similar chemicals are in onions, which is why a very small bit of green onion will make a large difference in a dish's flavor. Whether or not onions are included in the Japanese listing of official Umami-containing substances, they contribute to the effect.