The Speaking God

From: Michael Raaterova <cabal_at_algonet.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 19:19:37 +0100 (MET)

Here are some thoughts on the Speaking God which I could not resist=20 posting and thus coming out of my shell.

Is the Issaries described in GoG a true picture of the Speaking God of=20 the orlanthi? Or more specifically, the orlanthi of Dragon Pass? I think=20 not (GoG is a foul God Learner document). Among the more or less=20 rural orlanthi in DP there is no great need of a specific merchant god. It=
=20

is but a minor aspect of the Speaking God. In more urbanized areas,=20 with lots of trading going on, there definitely is a greater demand for the=
=20

merchant aspect. But that does not change the fact (aarrgh! I said the=20 forbidden word) that Issaries Merchant is a secondary to Issaries=20 Traveller and Speaker.=20

The development of the masks of Issaries as I see it should go=20 something like this:=20
Speaker (Poet, Skald) - Herald (Messenger) - Traveller - Trader.=20 The Speaker is known for his way with words and wit, which is way=20 Orlanth sends him to act as his messenger and herald. And Issaries, the=20 Messenger, learns the paths and ways of the world on his many errands=20 as Traveller. Of course he meets lots of people on his travels, with=20 which he exchanges information and/or goods. As he is the God of=20 Words and Wit he usually gets a good price on his tradings.
=20

The development could be read backwards and still be somewhat valid,=20 but it doesn't make much sense to me if Issaries is an original god of=20 the storm pantheon. If he was an import it would be more acceptable,=20 but in my eyes he isn't.

There is also the possibility that there is an aspect of Issaries as=20 Psychopomp, who guides the departed souls to their place in the=20 afterlife and acts as their Herald to the Keeper of the Dead. This would=20 mean that Issaries has knowledge of the pathways of the spirit worlds=20 as well.=20

I don't think the rural orlanthi have much use of the merchant aspect of=20 the Speaking God, except in the big cities. Trading is a spinoff from=20 travelling (this statement is arguable, I know), and thus secondary=20 (even if very important in the major trading centres). Rurally he has=20 IMO a much more important position as Skald, Herald, Psychopomp=20 and Traveller.=20
In our campaign (based in Far Point) his most important mask is that of=20 Skald. I have always seen orlanthi culture as oral, which makes the=20 skalds important, as they can immortalise a man's name and make it=20 part of the clan myth/history. Prestige and renown in orlanthi society is=
=20

worth as much as wealth, and to have one=D5s name immortalized in a=20 skaldasong that extols your virtues is what many orlanthi strive after; it=
=20

always feels good to be a legend in your own lifetime.=20 The songs of the skalds' can be a powerful weapon too in the form of the Ni= d=20
(pronounced as need), which is a satire song meant to ridicule some=20 person or group. A wellcomposed Nid will be spread far and wide, making the=
=20

Niding (person marked in the Nid) known as a dishonourable and/or=20 ridiculous person. The Skalds are highly respected, and their art much=20 appreciated.=20

Any comments on this version of Issaries? Be nice though; this is my=20 first posting on the digest. I've got musings on Lhankor Mhy, Odayla=20 and Asrelia and other gods who stand in the shadow of Ernalda and=20 Orlanth to be posted if any one is interested.

Is anyone interested in ceremonies and cult practices of the orlanthi, or=
=20

have some material on it that they want to post? I'm getting a bit tired on=
=20

reading about ploughs and rotten fish, which is one of the reasons i'm=20 posting this.

Some Trivia: I'm a soon-to-be 24 years old student in the cold-stricken=20 university town of Uppsala, Sweden. I've dabbled in comparative=20 linguistics and mythology, latin and history, enjoying myself=20 massively. I am also a finnish caffeine-addict and a bowler-hat fetishist=
=20

slapping away on an electric bass.
Roleplaying has been a favorite pastime for about 8 years. I started with=
=20

Glorantha and fell in love with all the weirdness. Unfortunately i got=20 tied up with lots of other games, but i have recently rediscovered=20 Glorantha, and we are running a pendragonish campaign in Far Point=20 just before the Lunar invasion. I'm not the gamemaster, but I'm the one=20 with the internet connection.

Salvete,

Michael Raaterova.