Taking the piss?

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 22:45:50 GMT

Ian Gorlick is (understandably) perplexed by the Roman enthusiasm for Spaniards' urine:
> As far as I know, human piss is all about the same when it
> comes out. Diet and physiology don't make too much of a difference, the
> water soluble by-products of metabolism are much the same for all of us.

This is true, though dietary protein can vary the amount of urea present, and obviously water, the concentration. But any water-soluble substance in the diet which is absorbed into the blood can (and in general will, unless it gets co-opted for metabolic use), be eliminated as urine. The only thing that springs to mind is alcohol (which can also be metabolised, to confuse matters), but there could well be elements of certain cuisine which behave similarly.

Alex.