Issaries and other trinklets

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 1995 14:17:57 +1300

Michael Raaterova:

Mike in clarifying a point of his to a question I posed.

>The orlanthi farmers do sell their surplus to the cities or full time
>merchants, but the point is that the farmers don't have a need for
>Issaries Merchant. They propably send a prayer or two to Issaries
>Quicktongue to guide their words in the haggling, but they don't worship
>Issaries in the aspect of Merchant as the full time traders do. Which is
>what I was trying to say. Sorry about the lack of clarity.

Okay, I understand you now and see nothing wrong in what you say. Your ideas are reflected to some extent in the full Issaries writeup.

I wrote:

>>If by Issaries the Merchant, you mean Garzeen Middleman, then that's
>>fine. However belonging to Harst Sparegrain ('First Son of Issaries')
>>carries a useful advantage in that Issaries Merchants are ritually sworn
>>to give fellow worshippers a fair deal.

Mike replied

>I haven't heard about either of these two before. Somebody care to mail
>me some info on them or point me to where I could find it myself? If
>Harst Sparegrain is a Heortland god, I don't think the Far Pointers are
>very acquainted with this figure, having settled from Tarsh. If the
>worship of Harst was widespread before the Dragonkill War though, he
>should be as wellknown in Far Point as in the southern regions.

Harst is found in the full Issaries Cult Writeup in River of Cradles. To join him, you sacrfice a point of POW and turn up for worship ceremonies *when* an Issaries Trader Priest shows up. He is also mentioned in Cults of Prax but his cult isn't described. Garzeen is the shopkeeper and is found in Urban settings. Goldentongue is the travelling trader although he mainly trades between cities.

Harst is indigenous to Dragon Pass having taught them all how to speak (after the same Silence that afflicted the West?). Your theory on that Tarshite Settlers may not worship Harst is good, although I'm not too strong on South Pelorian Barbarian Lore to suggest an alternative name. Garzeen BTW appears to have come from Ralios.

Your comments on Asrelia and Lhankor Mhy, I soundly endorse.

>And if this posting too is sprinkled with odd signs and numbers, I'd
>like someone to tell me how to get rid of them.

Something to do with MIME encoding.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #88