David Cake's Read English Fumble

From: Michael Raaterova <cabal_at_algonet.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 15:20:41 +0100 (MET)

David Cake about Issaries Skald:

> I do not particularly like this idea as an aspect of the Issaries
>cult. I like the idea that Orlanthi society includes skalds or bards, but
>the Issaries cult does not seem the place to put them. I think skalds are
>much more likely to be associated with Orlanth, perhaps the Orlanth
>Goodvoice aspect that Issaries has tended to displace.
> Skalds are associated with music. Issaries has no recorded myth
>involving music. Orlanth has several.
> Orlanth Rex is mentioned as being a god of poets, as well as
>chieftains (perhaps indicating some special social status for poets - like
>the status of skald).

I agree that skalds may indeed be associated with Orlanth Goodvoice or Orlanth Rex instead of Issaries, but that's pretty much up to individual preferences. I just like the idea of Issaries Skald. About skalds and music, though, you're wrong (at least when talking of norse or germanic skalds). Skalds are not particularily associated with music at all - that's for singers and musicians and other low entertainers. The art of the skald is words. A skald's poems are not sung, they are spoken.

> The skalds position as lawspeaker and guardian of the traditions
>of the tribe definately does not seem to me to be an Issaries function.
>The modern Orlanthi would see it as a Lhankor Mhy function. It is also
>traditionally an Orlanth function - Note Orlanths role as first
>Lawspeaker (cf. Orlanth the Justice-Bringer, KOS pg.74), and King Heorts
>Lawstaff quest (ibid pg.90). But I can think of no mention of Issaries
>as Lawspeaker.

Now, where in my posting do I say that a skald is a lawspeaker or guardian of the traditions? If you read my posting on Lhankor Mhy you'll find that I fully agree with you.

> I think that the essence of Issaries is not as a speaking god, but
>a trade god. In various ways Orlanth, Eurmal, Lhankor Mhy, and Issaries
>are all speaking gods, and certainly Issaries should not have all the
>aspects of the speaking god. Issaries is the god who speaks to survive
>and prosper, Eurmal is the god who speaks to get his own way, LM is the
>god who speaks the truth, Orlanth is the god who >speaks the morally
>correct right words.
> So, I disagree quite strongly with the idea of Issaries as the god
>of skalds. I think that skalds are primarily connected with Orlanth
>(perhaps even in Orlanth Rex), and they also acknowledge many other gods
>(as is correct, as skalds are more of an embodiment of Orlanth's way
>than a worshipper), most especially Donandar, LM, Issaries, and Eurmal.

Sure, your points are all (well, almost all) valid, but I wish you'd have read my article more carefully before you responded. What I said and what I meant is obviously not what you responded to. On the other hand, I most certainly do not say that my conception of the gods is True. My postings are ideas to be used, abused or ignored according to personal preferences and conception of Glorantha.

If this posting too is screwed up, I'll have to write future postings online instead.

If anyone wants my postings uncluttered with formatting signs, send me a notice and i'll mail them to you.

Salvete,

Michael Raaterova.