barntar & mahome

From: ian (i.) gorlick <"ian>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 12:05:00 -0500

Michael Raaterova proposes that Barntar and Mahome be worshipped as man & wife representing field & hearth. This is a novel idea. I like the idea of providing Barntar with a wife who represents the household duties but I had not considered Mahome in that role. Michael, is this your own idea or does it have precedent in some other source?

Mahome really comes from the Fire/Sky pantheon, though she is known in the Storm pantheon. I think we need some mythic justification about how the daughter of Lodril ends up married to the son of Orlanth.

How about this: Orlanth secretly enters the Castle of Black Glass seeking a weapon he can use against the Darkness tribe. In the dungeons he finds Lodril wounded and chained. Lodril can not be released but he gives into Orlanth's keeping two of his children whom he has kept hidden inside his body. These are Mahome and Gustbran. Mahome will keep cold and darkness out of the house, Gustbran will provide torches and bonfires to drive back darkness and he will forge weapons to fight the servants of darkness. Lodril beseeches Orlanth to care for his children. Orlanth agrees and even goes so far as to marry Mahome to his son Barntar.

Of course the Solar cultists will have some other version that either ignores the Storm gods or accuses them of stealing the children.

RE: =20s and other corrupted characters. Yes, Michael, they are irritating; but not so irritating that they outweight the value of your contribution. So, keep on posting.