Sandy's invite (+trivia)

From: A.L.Dixon <A.L.Dixon1_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:09:22 +0000

Just cleared the xmas backlog of digests and read Sandy's question about what we'd like to see from him. My immediate thought was "whatever you've got" but that's not very helpful. My considered opinion would be in favour of history and geography. Cults I can usually rough out myself from info in the prosopaedia et al. Scenarios I'm ambivalent about -- I'm hopeless at plots, but then, my best scenarios have always been the ones where I just give the players a situation and let them run with it. Hard rules I can take or leave, but soft ones, like the recent escalation of combat postings are good, as are monster stats. (Talking of rules, what I'd
*really* like to see are these RQ/Empire of the Petal Throne rules of
Sandy's I've heard so much about, but I suppose this isn't really the place for them :(.)
Here's a quick rules question: Impala riders are pigmies. So are Bolo Lizard and Ostrich riders, but not so small (according to the Sandy/Martin Crim article in Codex 1). So what SIZ are they? Should STR be reduced too, and if so how do the Impala folk draw their composite bows?
Some trivia: I'm 28, studying for a librarianship MA at Sheffield university. I got into D&D about 15 years ago, RQ about 5 or 6 later, and I'm still kicking myself for not buying Pavis and the Rubble when I had the chance <rueful grin>. The main reason I like Glorantha is its subcreation aspect -- it's a
*consistent* place, a could-be-real world, rather than just a
backdrop for RPGs. Hence the mention of Tekumel above, which also feels right to me, unlike say, Jorune or Talislanta (good as they may be), which are somehow less "real" (whatever that means). I'm not sure if I'm in a game or not at the moment. I played in one session in a straight-forward Sartar/Orlanthi setting last term, but it alternates with another game and keeps getting cancelled due to non-attendance. My own campaign is in stasis at the moment, the PCs last seen trekking toward the Jord Mts.: Balazar has been overrun by trolls from the Rockwoods and Elder Wilds after the previous PCs (mostly Storm Bullers) joined Torath Manover to kill the griffins and get the Wind Sword (the griffins represented Fire, holding the Darkness at bay). This lot are Orlanthi-led, so are trying to put things right by bringing back griffins, or at least griffin eggs. Wish 'em luck.
Anyway, enough blather for my first posting. Maybe my next one will contribute something.

Aidan
(the sig's in the post)

ps. for Those Who Know, is Wyrm's Footprints out yet?