RQCON DOWN UNDER

From: John P Hughes <John.Hughes_at_anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:33:55 +1100 (EST)

1994 was a very involved year for both MOB and myself. But its finally time to draw the curtain on some plans that have been taking form for nearly 18 months now. Just as the excitement is dying down in San Francisco, here's a preliminary announcement for...

RQ CON DOWN UNDER
January 19th-21st, 1996
Bayswater Primary School, Bayswater, Victoria, Australia

A convention dedicated to RuneQuest and Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha...

... and the other great games produced by Chaosium, including:

Pendragon, Call of Cthulhu, Elric, Nephilim, Credo, Dragon Pass etc.

SPECIAL GUEST OF HONOUR: GREG STAFFORD
President of Chaosium, Creator of Glorantha

The RuneQuest drought is over! The grim years for Aussie Glorantha fans are past! First there was Greg Stafford's visit to Australia in 1992. Then came the original RQ Con in Baltimore, January 1994. Next, RQ Con II in San Francisco, January 1995. And now...

RQ CON DOWN UNDER EVENTS TOURNAMENTS: RuneQuest, Pendragon, Call of Cthulhu, Nephilim, Systemless, Credo, Elric, Dragon Pass, and more!

FREEFORMS (LARPs) & MULTIFORMS: Chris Gadlow's 'Tarsh War'; John Hughes' 'Our Gods Are Just' (a communal heroquest set during the Hero Wars, fifth module in the Ironspike series); others may be on offer too!

SEMINARS - on the following topics, and many more as well:

Introduction to Glorantha, Heroquesting, Pamaltela - RQ's Great Southern Land, RQ Renaissance, Pendragon Pass, Elric, Call of Cthulhu, Getting Your Roleplaying Material Published, Living With Myth, Nick Brooke's Cultural Exchange and of course the infamous Lore Auction, where Greg will answer any question for a dollar!

WHAT ELSE?

FEATURE EVENT - HOME OF THE BOLD A run-away* success at RQ Con '94 (USA) and Convulsion '92 (UK)! A 70 player, multi-session freeform, set in the city of Boldhome. Be a Lunar occupier, a Sartarite rebel, or an independent being courted by both sides. All participants receive 'The Rough Guide to Boldhome', a limited edition booklet detailing the fabled city, featuring original material and maps by Greg Stafford.

Will Boldhome erupt into the flames of rebellion yet again, or will the Lunars finally manage to do something right and crush the revolt?

Freeforming began in Australia, so it's only fair that the greatest Gloranthan Live Action Role Play / Freeform of all time makes it to our shores! Places in 'Home of the Bold' are strictly limited to 70, so get in early to avoid disappointment!

(*Certainly for some Lunars.) :*)

SPECIAL GUESTS We'll be bringing you a line-up of RuneQuest luminaries from across the globe. Confirmed special guests include;

PLUS SOMEONE ELSE VERY SPECIAL (IF A LITTLE FAMILIAR). RQ CON DOWN UNDER MEMBERSHIP Membership at the con is likely to be around $70 Australian for the weekend: this will include a copy of the RQ Down Under Book. Membership is strictly limited to 150 places! Registration will be on a first-come, first served basis: there will be no registrations accepted after November 1995.

Mail or e-mail us at one of the addresses below to be placed on our entry form mailing list. A full registration form will be available in June. RQ Con Updates will appear on aus.games.roleplay, on the Gloranthan Digest, and in 'Tales of the Reaching Moon'.

FOUNDATION SUBSCRIPTIONS We're looking for 40 Foundation Subbers to help us get the ball rolling. Your $25 Foundation Subscription will be deducted from your con registration fee. Apart from our eternal gratitude, Foundation Subbers will receive;

VOLUNTEERS AND GAMESMASTERS NEEDED If you have an idea for a roleplaying tournament, an event or seminar; if you have experience in running theatrical events, or enjoy mask, costume or prop making (for our Gloranthan ceremony); if you'd like to assist in gamesmastering, or would like to volunteer to assist in convention organisation, please get in touch! RQ Con is a community event, and volunteers get discounted entry!

When: Friday 19th - Sunday 21st January, 1996

Where: Bayswater Primary School, Bayswater, Victoria, Australia.

The con venue is located in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, easily accessible from the city centre by public transport. Motel accommodation within walking distance of the venue is available. We'll have a canteen, and there's lots of places to eat and drink nearby as well!

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Please contact the convention organisers:

Michael 'MOB' O'Brien
48 Barcelona Street, Box Hill 3128, Victoria, Australia Telephone (03) 899 8539
Fax (03) 720 8986
InterNet: mobtotrm_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Please contact MOB AFTER 25 January).

John Hughes
47/32 Bunbury Street, Stirling 2611 ACT, Australia Telephone (06) 288 0273
InterNet: john.hughes_at_anu.edu.au

Andrew Bean c/- CSIRO DWT, PO Box 21 Belmont, 3216, Victoria InterNet: abean_at_geel.dwt.csiro.au

INTERNATIONAL GUESTS We hope to organise something special for our international guests, to show you a little something of our Great Southern Land. If you're going to come all this way, plan to stay a week or two!

RQ Con Down Under is a community non-profit event supported by Reaching Moon Megacorp. and by Kyger Lager, the troll beer that reaches where others can't.

Aussie gamers, look for the RQ Con Down Under brochure at CANCON!