Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #93

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:29:36 GMT

Re: Reading the minds of priests.

Firstly, I do believe that it is standard RQ and standard Glorantha that the Initiates, Priests and Lords are the God's senses in the mundane world. Now, the communication isn't perfect either way. Both sides have difficulty understanding each other and explaining themselves to the other (hence visions one way and prayers the other). But a god will certainly know if a Priest does something directly contrary to his beliefs: commits a sin in other words. That is directly in the god's focus of attention and directly in his interests.

And a sin committed in the god's temple during a holy ceremony, which was what was originally discussed, is right under the Divine Nose, so to speak.

Priests who create heresies must either pervert the god's code very slowly and very discreetly or be Illuminated. Or both. Perhaps heresies start when the priest focusses on something the god hasn't turned his Divine attention to much and makes it important in a way the god hasn't thought of.

And re: Donandar, the full write up is in a Space Gamer or maybe a Different Worlds. My copy is a photocopy. I don't know if it might be available on an archive somewhere...