Re: Reading the minds of priests.

From: Colin Watson <watson_at_csd.abdn.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 18:07:41 GMT

Mike Cule:
> Firstly, I do believe that it is standard RQ and standard Glorantha that the
> Initiates, Priests and Lords are the God's senses in the mundane world. Now,
> the communication isn't perfect either way. [...]
> But a god will certainly know if a Priest does
> something directly contrary to his beliefs: commits a sin in other words. That
> is directly in the god's focus of attention and directly in his interests.

I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as that. Worshippers are the eyes and ears of god. How does god know what's going on if his senses are feeding him false information? How does he know which info is false?

If the evidence of your eyes conflicts with your ears you get dizzy. Likewise with god. If some of his worshippers act "heretically" god gets confused. He doesn't know whether to go with one side or the other.

If your eye malfunctioned would you pluck it out? Probably not. You'd probably wait a while and hope that the problem went away. You wouldn't know exactly which part of your eye was faulty; you couldn't consciously "will" it to get better; but you'd hope your body could sort it out eventually.

Likewise with god. If a single rogue priest is feeding false geases to his initiates, god isn't going to shut-down the whole temple. He likely doesn't know which priest is doing the dirty, though he'd probably be vaguely aware that something was amiss from the prayers of the initiates in the area. And he'd probably hope that the local worshippers would be able to fix the problem themselves eventually (by ousting the rogue priest themselves).

If a god was to intervene directly in such cases it would be like you trying DIY eye-surgery to fix your temporary blurred vision.

(I've said it before and I'll say it again:) I don't think the gods are consciously aware of the actions of their every worshipper any more than a person is aware of the activity of each cell in their body. The system works without either side being fully aware of the other.

> Priests who create heresies must either pervert the god's code very slowly
> and very discreetly or be Illuminated.

Illumination is the cancer of the gods.

___
CW.

Orlanth: Doctor, Doctor! I feel like my world is falling apart! Dr. Arachne: Pull yourself together man!

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #95