Peace, brother!

From: Michael Raaterova <cabal_at_algonet.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 01:34:28 +0100 (MET)

David, I did not mean to sound so harsh that you thought I did. I was pissed off at some irrelevant stuff when I wrote my reply. So, it got unnecessary nasty.

I do agree (as I said) that your points are valid; the position of skald
(as a catch-all term) among the orlanthi may of course be associated with
some other god than Issaries, and most likely that would be Olanth Rex. You could make an (almost) equally good argument for skalds being associated with Lhankor Mhy. Or Donandar. It's a matter of opinion.

My motivation for making them belong with Issaries is also valid, as it hooks up with skalds being itinerant. And with the making of the poems
(poesongs?) and selling them to people who pay the skald with honour,
gifts and food and what have you. The greatest skalds is definitely on par with chieftains in status, and should receive fitting gifts.

About skalds and music; it's basically my own fault as I originally didn't mention that my skalds were the norse ones. If others want their own skalds it's perfectly fine with me, but I want the norse ones as it is home ground. RQ Vikings isn't wrong when it specifically mention skalds as singing, but it isn't the whole truth. The swedish term for what skalds produce is the kvaede (= eng. quote, with a different meaning) which could be called a peculiar form of song. But it's much more refined art than a simple song, as it is divinely derived poesy. The minstrels have their songs, but the skalds have their kvaede. Socially it was a major difference.

I can't remember any significant mention of skalds being musicians in the norse sagas (which does not mean that they didn't use instruments when not practising their art). They didn't even perform accompanied. I should have mentioned this in the original text, but to me it was obvious that I meant the norse skalds.
Obviously I was wrong. But, hey, the reason I posted it was to get replies. And I got them.

Sorry for being a rude and nasty scandinavian. It's a reaction to being forcefed good manners and social etiquette from an early age instead of learning it by experience.

Salvete,

Michael.