Chalana Arroy and Urine

From: BRIAN.B.D.PINCH_at_BHPMELMSM.BHP.bhpmel04.telememo.au
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 13:31:41 +1000

Chalana Arroy

RE: Mike Dickisons posting on Stereotyped Healers ( awhile back)

>... Healers have rigorous rules regarding harming living creatures,
>to be sure, but I think we as GMs impose a whole slew of other
>stereotypical personality traits on them. Why can't a Chalana Arroy
>initiate be as foul-mouthed, earthy, hard-drinking and promiscuous as a
>..... But all the healer NPCs I can think of that have even been given
personalities
>(from RoC, RQ Adventures, Cults of Terror, CoP) seem to be "meek and mild",
>and mostly women too. The centaur in RQA is a notable exception, but still
>a complete wimp :)

Unfortunately, with the restrictions placed on healers it is hard other than to be a complete wimp. It is very, very dangerous under any circumstance to be loud mouthed and insulting when you can't fight back. Within a city and with civilised people it is comparitively easy to be merciful and generous, however, outside these havens of peace or in times of extremes the attitude shown by an individual healer may be different.... (Deliberately left open for future comment)

I've read about the Centaur you mentioned. Other Chalana Arroy healers I've heard or read about are:
Ralzakarks Chalana Arroy healers (including a female broo!) Hubba - a beer guzzling, gabby healer of Pavis who (unsuccessfully) tried to convince Griselda that raising a family was best (TORM (?4) ) Anenome, (TORM 4) Naid of the Springs, High Healer & Heroine of Chalana Arroy (located at the spring where Arroin was healed at the "beginning" of Eagle River, south of Sky reach moutains )
And perhaps a little bit outdated and/or outmoded, the Chalana Arroy Runemasters from the appropriately named publication Runemasters ( from Chaosism circa 1980). These were Doreena, Beshella & Car-eel from Sartar & Prax who wore metal armour and had to hit & parry chances with a sword that would make some Humakt & Orlanthi initiates green with envy.

Uses of Urine

Since I've seen no-one actually respond to the question, I'll say what urine was used in one of the following two books, either 'Clan of the Cave Bear' or `Plains of Passage' by Jeam M Auel (sp?).

The urine was left to stand. The urine slowly turned into ammonia. Ammonia is a bleaching agent as well as a disinfectant.

The following scene depicts a lunar merchant asking a question to an Esrolian Chalana Arroy named Stanley.

Q: "My Stanley, however did you get those bandages so white?" A: "Its a Chalana Arroy secret"

Mike Dickinson also talked about cult of THE YEAR SONS. His request for opinions question on the cult is way outside my range of knowledge. I am interested in this but I waited for replies or criticisms but none appeared on the daily and so I ask if people can pass on their knowledge of this cult

Brian.B.D.Pinch_at_msm.bhp.com.au <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>