Re: Short comments

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 15:22:46 +0500

  Paul Reilly here.

  Dead horse flogging:

  Mike Cule wrote:

>The god knows what his priest is thinking at all times

  I think that this would poison the god, in addition to other people's arguments. Humakt, for example, should probably be shielding himself from his worshippers inevitable lapses into thoughts of love, sex, and family. Thus, EVEN IF the gods could be aware of every initiate's every thought (I doubt this anyway) they would not WANT to be so aware.

  I think that other people have adequately covered this topic, let me just say I am in the "Gods are mostly unaware of any individual worshipper" category. Only cult Heroes have a reasonable chance of being on their deity's big TV screen (or endoscan?) at any given time, and even they can have private thoughts. Cf. Elric/Arioch for such a hero/god relationship.

  Harrek killing the White Bear:

  I think of this differently from the way most people do, apparently, not as an adversarial thing but more as a 'deeper initiation' thing. Harrek is not some enemy of the White Bear, he is a descendant and chosen avatar. I think of Harrek's family as the Last Of The Polar Bear Hsunchen. The god is aware that something has gone wrong with the weather and ecology up north and is trying to shape events to repair this imbalance. Harrek's 'apotheosis' is part of that shaping. (Implications of Harrek vs. Lunars now obvious)