Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #103

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:19:31 +0500

Paul Reilly here, replying to Peter Michaels (i think):

> 1.) You (Greg) have written that the Trickster aspect worshipped by the
> trolls is the Glutton. Is the Black Eater a manifestation of this aspect

  Hmm. It is my impression that Glutton would be not very abnormal for trolls, hence not very Tricksterish. Unless you mean he who eats without being satisfied... see below...

  In our campaign we have Scary Monster as the closest Uz equivalent to Trickster. He is very crazy in many ways. One of the stories about him is that he ate some Boggles, who set up housekeeping in his stomach and started driving him crazy. When he gets food in his stomach, they eat it, so he is always hungry.

  Maybe he is Glutton after all.

  His 'legends' are often stories which explain how various people got so crazy or odd.

  He is not really a 'fun' Trickster like Eurmal, much more a 'Scary Insane' trickster, like, uh, Eurmal on a bad day. He does have some comical qualities though, mostly to do with "interrupted-eating", which is one of the funniest things to Uz.

>I think that most Gloranthans who've studied the BE cult think it's a
>manifestation of chaos

  Black Eater is NOT Chaos (IMO), rather it is associated with Subere and the last defense against Chaos. Black Eater may look Chaotic to Surface World beings, but remember, you look even more chaotic to her than she does to you. (Black Eater is POWERFUL, hence gets a "her" designation - also, primal and uncrippled)