Re: sandy's maunderings

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idcube.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 17:34:05 -0600

Jake Meredith
>So my question is: do any of you have any different mechanics or
>writeup for Illumination?

        Yes.

>Do the Kralori practice a different form then the lunars?

        Illumination is not particularly meaningful to the Kralori. By Lunar standards, the Kralori are not illuminated. They have no cult of Nysalor.

>Also have any of you used the mysterious second age Nysalor cults?

        Yes. Note that in my belief the second-age cults were few and rare, and most of them were mystery cults. Many of them did not incorporate illumination at all, but simply worshiped the Dead Osentalka.

>Do chaotics have a _Gbaji_ cult?

        Yes. It thrives in Dorastor.

Alex Ferguson
>I think that most Gloranthans who've studied the Black Eater cult
>think it's a manifestation of chaos, rather than the Trickster.
>Troll(kin) worshippers don't think so, obviously.

        The trolls think of the Black Eater as something possibly even beyond chaos. Here's a good place for me to point out that the troll approach and belief in chaos is NOT the same as most humans. Trolls are supposedly "good chaos fighters", yet they openly herd and domesticate the chaos-tainted cave trolls. The Zorak Zoran cult is believed by humans to be anti-chaos, but it thrives in the Blue Moon Plateau, known allies of the Lunar Empire.

        The troll approach to chaos might be best understood by understanding the trolls' entire approach to life. They are essentially a pessimistic people and not the least idealistic. For them, the world has ALREADY been destroyed, when they were forced from Wonderhome. All around them, every day, they see the signs of their degeneration -- from Uzuz to Uzko to Enlo. Their reaction to this is, of course, not a human reaction. Chaos is just another form of cosmic cancer. When it attacks uz, uz fight it. When uz are hungry, uz hunt it. When it is killed, uz eat it. Much the same reaction as uz have to humans, except chaos is not as tasty and harder to kill.

> 7.) Who or what were the EWF "waltzing and hunting bands"?
(mentioned in KoS)
I answered these in the Lore auction, but I'll do it again, in case the answers aren't posted by whoever asked them.

        The waltzing and hunting bands were missionaries.

> 8.) Who or what were the God Learner "Outer Atomic Explorers"?

        Trained men and women who attempted to go _outside_ Glorantha, to see the universe from the other side, plunging right into the depths of chaos in special vessels.

Peter M.
> For instance, a Chaos worshipper is detectable by Uroxi beserkers,
> not because he worships Chaos but because he feverently believes

> the world sucks and should be destroyed. It is this belief which

> the Uroxi senses.

        Er, no, I don't think so. Uroxi sense Chaos. Why don't Illuminates register as chaotic? Because they're not chaotic. Note that if an illuminate casts a chaos spell on himself, he'll register as chaotic for the spell's duration. Or maybe it's the spell that's registering.