Chaos Philosophy

From: Peter Metcalfe, CAPE Canty <CHEN190_at_cantva.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 21:59:19 +0000

Chaos Philosophy:

I mentioned in a previous post about an essay as to why a Chaotics belief translates into becoming a chaotic and gaining chaotic features. Nick has pointed out that the essay is not in Lords of Terror, so for the benefit of many, I have taken the trouble of reproducing the essense of its arguements. It's heavily paraphrased, but I have tried to keep the essential points in.

Chaos is a passionate refusal [1] to recognize the limits of the natural and moral universe. It is part of the mortal condition that this limitation be vital to a decent life for any of us but in chaotics it is manifested to such an extent that it becomes virtually the sole passion. Chronic discontent with the world causes the chaotic to despise life and the limited happiness it yields when compared to transcending the world.

This refusal has odd consequences. A Chaotic will consider committing an act of murder, not for any benefits which may accrue for the deed, but because the act of murder is forbidden and the Chaotic cannot endure being forbidden to act [2]. The strength of this refusal allows the chaotic to partially transcend the rules of the world.

Yet those rules still determine the behaviour of the chaotic. You or I obey the laws, because they are the laws whereas the chaotic must disobey the laws because they are the laws. Since the Chaotic cannot disobey all laws at once, they feel eternally constrained. The True Chaotic, such as a Dragonsnail, must be both miserable and a menace, and the warrior that kills it does both the chaotic and all of us a favour.

This refusal is the consequence of a particular combination of emotions characteristic of a chaotic personality and cannot be induced in you or I by anything less than attunement of a cursed crystal. Telepathic communications may allow thoughts to be known, but does not alter the personna.

[1] I said it was a 'feverently held belief that the world sucks and
must be destroyed' following ToTRM#8. IMO, the 'passionate refusal' is really a state of mind that must be achieved before one can obtain the powers of primal chaos. Believing that 'the world sucks and must be destroyed' as the Broo Priest does is a philosophical path to attaining the 'passionate refusal'. Note that there are other ways to obtain the powers of chaos (ie eating chaos slime, chaos gift etc)

[2] This arguement, it must be said, is extremely weak as feral broos or
dragonsnails do not have anything like a legislature, dictator or even a customary code of behavior to follow as meaningful laws. I would prefer to emphasize the frustation that the Chaotic feels at having to respond to certain stimuli. For instance, a broo feels a need to urinate. He ignores it as it is something which must be done but he doesn't want to do it. So he waits. Eventually his bladder and member both swell making it _extremely_ uncomfortable until his body finally caves in and opens the floodgates, leaving the Broo extremely pissed off. }B-)