The Dragon Mother Company (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:30:46 -0500 (EST)

Forwarded message:
>From postmaster_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Wed Jan 25 10:55:03 1995
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 17:55:51 +0200 (EET) From: VILLE JOHANNES KAIKKONEN <vkaikkon_at_zombie.oulu.fi> To: owner-glorantha-digest_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Subject: The Dragon Mother Company

Oh my!
I am sooo excited, my first contribution to this excellent digest. Still, I am not going to bash all you wise RQ-sages with any irritating newbie questions. ;-)

Nils Weinander wrote:
>The single mothers who show an interest are put to a difficult test over
>three days and the candidates are invited to come to the headquarters
>and start their training. They are trained for one year before being
>released for duty. After half a year those recruits who have changed
>their minds may leave without any penalty. Those who stay remain in
>active duty until the age of 45.

First, I'd like to say, that Nils' invention, The Dragon Mother Company, was quite interesting and reason was obviously used when writing that stuff. Indeed, that text managed to raise such ideas in my "grey stuff" that I even dared to write them here.

I have an impression that Glorantha can, as a whole, from the viewpoint of equality, be compared to medieval Earth, where human males reigned supreme in almost every aspect of life simply because they were/are bigger & physically stronger. Fortunately, the matter of equality is not _so_ inequal any longer (at least in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Canada, no pun intented to any other nationality). This lead me to think of a Kralori _woman_ trained in the "art" of war (art of killing IMO), i.e. trained as soldiers. They would be quite adept in their special lightweight weaponry after a year of extensive training, right? In the violent, male dominated world, some deviant and profane thoughts of real equality might easily creep into the minds of these Dragon Mothers, since they now have the means to settle the score with their oppressors, males (husbands, officials, adventurers?) by utilizing their newly learned ways of blood spilling, or only by threatening to do so. How about the 45-years old veterans returning from their duty? They would obviosly be formidable fighters, even true masters in their weaponry after so many years of (of course not necessarily dayly/weekly) fighting and surviving all that bloodshed. Those hardened individuals would hardly stand _any_ kind of schauvinist language or behaviour, which is presumably more frequently used by Gloranthans than the modern man (or not). As a conclusion, I'd like to claim that the resigned or even the veteran members of The Dragon Mother Company could make very interesting player characters, especially if played by a devout feminist.

        Ville Kaikkonen

 		"There's no sin except stupidity."
					Oscar Wilde

		"There's no stupidity except sin."