Pavis,Zebras

From: R.A.Nicholls <R.A.Nicholls_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 15:18:46 +0000

Hi, I recently got Strangers in Prax and I've a couple of questions concerning it and Pavis in general. In "A Home Away from Home" the party enter the Rubble via Wyvern Gate. I know that the Lunars mount guards on all the entrances into New Pavis and also on the entrances into the Rubble from New Pavis but what about the other gates into the Rubble? Do people have to negotiate a Lunar guard upon entering
(or leaving) the Rubble no matter what entrance they use (except for
into the Garden and via the Troll Break possibly)? Also, are Wyvern Gate and the others still intact or have they fallen into disrepair? Are they "merely" fortified archways?
Also concerning the Zebra Riders of Pavis. As I understand/imagine/make a bit of it up, the Pure Horse People left Pent, came to Prax and befriended Pavis. They became the Zebra Riders
(their horses gained stripes due to their association with Pavis?).
After defeat by the trolls who sealed the city, those outside the walls were crushed by the Animal Nomads in battle and the survivors slunk away to Dragon Pass where after a lot of soul searching and questing refound themselves as the Grazelanders and descendants of the Pure Horse People. Their zebras/horses lost their stripes and they became the very conservative people they are today who have no time for cities or the like. Those Zebra People who were sealed in the city maintained their association with Pavis. Who do the present day Zebra Riders worship - I assume that those in the Rubble acknowledge Pavis, but do they still revere the Sun (Yelm or is it Yu-Kargzant) and the Horse Mother (Hippoi) and Golden Bow - I guess in a shamanic fashion?
What do you think? Am I totally off track with my ideas on the Zebra Riders?
By the way, I really liked the piece on the Arrolians and I'm enjoying (while not fully understanding) the narratives on The Broken Council.
Cheers, Rob