Broken Council Memoirs

From: James Polk <jpolk_at_explorer.csc.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 09:22:26 -0500 (EST)

While researching the archives of Kestinaddi, I found the following passage and thought it might be of interest to scholars investigating the Broken Council.

james

An Account of the Years in which Osentalka was Created

(as dictated by Kestinelm, Bright Eagle Lord of Kestinaddi and
Light Speaker of the Council)

355 - 359
- ---------

His Imperial Brightness, Khorzanelm the Magnificent, was much given to the practice of Imperial Court Ceremonies. Sometimes these ceremonies were practiced more to humiliate certain Dara Happan lords rather than to impress and humiliate those from outside Dara Happa.

Fortunately, the Emperor ordered me to travel to Dorastor and participate in the creation of Osentalka. Unfortunately, he did so a result of the lies whispered to him by the traitor, my cousin Palangio.

In Dorastor, I met several people who were to be of use to me. First there was Speaking Wheel, last of the Gold Wheel Dancers and Light Speaker on the Inner Council. For some reason we forged a bond of friendship which would last throughout the project. Next, there was Tahada Red Bison, Bison Khan of Prax. It would be through him that I would obtain Sun Hawk, a lost relation of Vrimak. Then also,there was Atheon, Lord of the Wind Children. His great wings told me he, too, was kin to Vrimak. Finally, there was Penemara, Priestess of the Erinflarth. (But I did not realize at that time how important she would become.)

I now shudder to remember how ignorant I was about how to create Osentalka in those days. None of the Dara Happans knew what to expect, and so we were totally outmaneuvered by the Trolls, the Earth worshippers, and just about everyone else. The only intelligent actions we took, as I remember, were to support Speaking Wheel as the Light Speaker and to begin to concentrate the resources of the Empire in my hands.

The most interesting action I remember was the refusal of Kanora the ManaAlkElsor, Priestess of oppressed Naveria, to assist us in creating Osentalka as a male. This "betrayal" of Dara Happa was to help me in future years.

360 - 364
- ---------

During this period I had a number of discussions with Kanora the ManaAlkElsor of Naveria. She and her people had been punished by his Imperial Brightness for her refusal to do his bidding during the creation of Osentalka. I wished to see if I could gain an ally for my plan to free Kestinaddi, for it is said the enemy of my enemy may be my friend. But she was distrustful of my overtures, fearing a plot to further punish her, and so our conversations bore no fruit at that time.

Also during this period, His Imperial Brightness, Khorzanelm, expressed unhappiness and frustration with our ignorance of how Osentalka was being created. And so he began to consider leaving the project. The Emperor's other significant act was to marry Penemara, Priestess of the Erinflarth.

I felt that if I could learn more about how to create the god, I could lessen the Emperor's suspicion of my loyalty and would have a better chance of shaping Osentalka as Vrimak. My friendship with Speaking Wheel helped in this aim because he informed me the god's gender could be changed by whomever controlled the Initiation myth.

Alas, I (and the other Dara Happans) continued to be confused about how to control the creation of Osentalka. I continued to cast my votes in the name of Speaking Wheel (as commanded by the Emperor), and continued to control the Imperial voting resources. I was glad that the Initiation Myth was still to come and I resolved never to be so unprepared again.

365 - 369
- ---------

The first thing I did was to approach one of the officials overseeing the creation of Osentalka. We spent many days together with me asking questions and he answering them. At the end of this time I knew much more than I had (and much less than I realized).

Fortified with my new knowledge, I went to speak to the Emperor. He was busy speaking with Cragspider, Queen of Cliffhome and so I had to wait. Then, before I could speak with his Imperial Brightness, terrible Kwaratch Kang, Warlord of the Council, entered Raibanth and slew the Emperor! I believe Penemara was also slain, although she was brought back to life by Holy Estorex, Priest of Dayzatar. Unfortunately the traitor Palangio was not present, else he too might have died.

Immediately, and without thought to the terrible carnage in the throne room, Mathiman, Governor of Darjinn proclaimed himself Emperor. But I, seeing a chance for the freedom of Kestinaddi, left Raibanth to seek allies.

I quickly found Kanora the ManaAlkElsor and urged her to declare Naveria independent. I pointed out that the disorder created by the Khorzanelm's assassination was Naveria's and Kestinaddi's best chance of breaking free from Dara Happa. She agreed and I then introduced her to the Seri-Phy-Ranor, Governor of Dorastor, so that she would have an ally if Dara Happa invaded her lands.

But Dorastor was too far away from Kestinaddi to provide military support and I could not find anyone else to help our people. First Wahnakar and then the traitor Palangio threatened Kestinaddi if it did not rejoin the empire. Both claimed the title of Warlord and neither would listen to my just claims and righteous arguments. At last, realizing that Kestinaddi could easily be destroyed by the armies these oppressors commanded, I agreed to rejoin the Empire on condition it continued to participate in the Osentalka project.
(Subsequently I have heard stories that Cragspider brought the Dara
Happans back to the project. This is a false claim.)

As I mentioned before, both Palangio and the Bison Heir Wahnakar claimed to be the Dara Happan Warlord at this time. I do not know exactly what transpired between the new emperor and Palangio
(although I have strong suspicions), but the result was that
Palangio was Disgraced and stripped of the office of Warlord. I consider this act to be one of the Three Wise Acts of Mathiman.

A number of people, recognizing my position as the chief Dara Happan architect on the project, began to seek my company. I do not remember the names of all those who spoke to me, but I do remember Vyrope, Priestess of Dorasta, and Arstor of Varstolar, King of Somarin. Arstor acted as a go-between for me and the Only Old One.
(I had been seeking a firebird said to be held captive and the Only
Old One thought he might have it. I felt my life would be short should I be seen speaking directly to him, so our communication was difficult.)

Many told me they were concerned at the lack of Light in the new god and the imbalance such a lack represented. I certainly concurred, but held fast to the point that I, as the Dara Happan representative, should be allowed to control the Initiation Myth, or else one of two things would occur; another Dara Happan, MUCH less reasonable than I, would replace me or Dara Happa would pull out of the project for good. I also pointed out to various Earth priestesses that a god which starts out female and becomes male is well set to be a fertility god. By such arguments did I advance my cause.

But then I was called back to the Emperor in Raibanth. He doubted my competence and wished to replace me on the project. I pointed out that our disorganization on the Osentalka project was due to lack of proper leadership and that if I wasn't allowed to go back immediately, the deal I was engineering would fall through and the god would remain female! Mathiman saw the wisdom of my words and let me return to Dorastor and gave me his voting resources. This was the second of the Three Wise Acts of Mathiman.

When I returned, I was informed that the Only Old One had agreed not to oppose my bid for control of the Initiation Myth. It was the only myth I tried to control (due to the agreements I had made) and I wrote it as promised: in order to understand all peoples, the goddess became a male. (I should note that Penemara, now wife of the new Emperor, cast her votes in an interesting way. For the purposes of writing the Initiation Myth, she cast them with my name. For the purposes of hold a seat on the Inner Council, she cast them with her name.)

370 - 374
- ---------

I spent this entire period in Dorastor, wheeling and dealing.
(Often there were so many people trying to speak with me, I could
hardly have a private conversation!) On occasion Wanakah visited me to find out how and what I was doing. I pointed out that I was agreeing to those who sought balance, since Light was so underrepresented. After all, I reasoned, we must achieve balance before we can achieve dominance. As I recall, he then gave me all his voting resources.

I agreed with Atheon, Lord of the Wind Children, to place the final slot on Osentalka as wings. I still regret I was unable to fulfill this agreement. It was the only one I made which I was not able to honor.

It was also during this period that I ended my long distance negotiations with the Only Old One. He wanted my subservience; I wanted cooperation. (I must admit I felt much better when I didn't have to work with him.) And right after I broke off negotiations, a Dragonewt informed me they had pulled out of his alliance and would support me against him.

But my attention was primarily focused on the Blessing and Self myths. In this I was ably assisted by Holy Estorex, the High Priest of Dayzatar.

Speaking Wheel turned out to be the key to controlling the Blessing myth. He greatly desired to be a part of the god, and I agreed to arrange it if he gave me all his voting resources. This he did, giving me even himself by changing into a fiery, golden, singing trumpet while I held him!

Controlling the Self myth was much, much more difficult. After long and tense negotiations, a group of six (including myself) agreed to pool our voting resources and vote as "Kestinelm et al". We drew up and signed an agreement that we would write the Self myth to our mutual satisfaction. I required all the strength of Vrimak to fashion this agreement since this group included my traitorous cousin Palangio, a stubborn Elf Yelmali named Saratin Seomale, the Empress Penemara, Holy Estorex, and Sharan Cho, the Kralorelan Observer. With the exception of Penemara (who had earned herself a place through her actions) each member contributed Light voting resources. We knew not how many resources the trolls would have, but we knew we would need much to defeat them.

And then the time came, the culmination of many years. But it was not easy to accomplish my goals. I was suddenly accosted by a troll who droned on about something or other. I was desperate to leave but could not! However, the Emperor ordered a troop of soldiers to carry me back to the god's room and thus righted the situation.
(And this was the third of the Three Wise Acts of Mathiman.)

This crisis having passed, I easily controlled both the Blessing and Self myths, and thereby ensured that Light would be the dominant element in the new god. Both times I shocked the onlookers by bidding against myself after I had outbid the trolls.

Alas! The Emperor had descended into madness and commanded me to place the final slot on the god's male member. But I could not do this, both as a proper worshipper of Vrimak, and as an honorable man. Instead, the final slot was placed on the eyes of Osentalka, as agreed by the six I mentioned above.

Finally, I wrote the Blessing myth. This was the only myth I wrote which was not constrained by any agreement. Although someone handed me a myth mentioning Third Eye Blue, it seemed clear to me that the only proper blessing must come from the Paradisal Aviator.

375
- ---

My votes claimed for me the Light Speaker (then known as Fire Speaker) position on the Inner Council. To my great pleasure, Penemara was the Water Speaker, Kanora was the Earth Speaker and Arstor was the Storm Speaker.

As per my agreement with the earth priestesses, I supported Vyrope for Tutor of Osentalka. But I was much relieved when Arstor proposed two tutors, one male and one female and readily supported him in this.

The resolutions of the Inner Council were these:

- -  Invite a Dragonewt as the 7th speaker (unanimous)
- -  Give Osentalka two tutors, one male and one female (unanimous)
- -  Gon Orta to be the male tutor (unanimous)
- -  Vyrope to be the female tutor (six for, one abstention)
- -  When one tutor dies, both positions will be voted on (unanimous)
- -  Council to meet again after Osentalka is born to vote on the

   Herald and Warlord of the Council

This last decision was important since it effectively made the members of this Council permanent members. (And although it was not discussed at the time, subsequent events showed most of the members of the Council understood the implications very well.)

But the most important decision by the Council was to agree to protect me and Kestinaddi from retribution by my mad Emperor.

Aftermath

Those were turbulent and exciting times. Sometimes I wonder how I managed to survive and even flourish. I later learned that all my efforts to create Osentalka might have been for nought had it not been for Penemara and Holy Estorex. Their work behind the scenes kept me from being recalled and executed. Penemara had risked death to speak directly with the Only Old One. Holy Estorex had tempered the effects of the Emperor Mathiman's growing madness and had aided me even when I was not polite to him. (Truly, his wisdom and patience are greater than any other's!)

Once I realized how much the three of us had worked together, I was both humbled and thankful. We then determined to continue guiding the Empire, Osentalka and the Council and our success has become a part of history. (With three such as we, how could it have been otherwise?)

May the blessings of the Paradisal Aviator, Vrimak and Osentalka guide you to truth, purity and wisdom.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #112