LARP-report

From: charles gregory fried <f6ri_at_midway.uchicago.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 9:00:47 CST

For anyone interested, following is a write-up for my character in the Broken Council LARP, Arstor of Varstolar. Get yours in to Shannon!

I, Arstor of Varstolar, King of the Somarin, High King of Brolia, set down here my recollections of the great events surrounding the creation of the god Osentalka. I do this for my children and for my people, that they may remember what part the house of Varstolar played in these extraordinary times. My hand grows weak, my eyes, feeble, and my memory, slow, and before I pass on my crown, I wish to secure my recollections for posterity.

I came to Dorastor for the first meeting of the Council in 355. At that time, I was angry and resentful -- although I did my best to hide my feelings. My wrath had been stirred by the previous machinations of the council, which had weakened the Kingdom of Brolia. But most of all, my anger was directed against one man: Lokamayadon of Biling, Chief of the Talastari tribes. Years before, Lokamayadon had courted me for his Brotherhood of the Storm, but, on careful consideration, I had refused to join, for I feared that the ways of the people of Brolia would be swept aside and that Orlanatus would overwhelm the worship of Sarius Goldentongue and Lanatum the Thunderer. Lokamayadon and I had parted in peace, but then he married my half-sister, Erilindia, high priestess of Brola. Together, they seized the loyalty of two of the four Brolian tribes, and I was no longer High King. But worse than this loss of title was the fate which this new rule brought to the people of Brolia: nearly all of the men in one of these two sundered tribes died fighting for Lokamayadon, putting down a revolt among his own people. This outrage roused my furor, and I came to the Council more eager to reunite Brolia than to contribute to the creation of a god! Still, passion had not thoroughly clouded my wits, and I knew that if I would seek my goals on the path of peace, Goldentongue would guide me, for, despite the adversities, Sarius had led my people into the prosperity which only peaceful commerce can bring.

When I arrived in Dorastor in 355, I knew I would have to seek out strong friends. The only man I trusted was Haradangian of the Stravuli, King of the Heortlings. We shared suspicions of Lokamayadon, and we both feared the Dara Happans, who traded unfairly and who lusted after the lands of the Theyalans. Both Haradangian and I had received secret communications from an anonymous source which spoke of a distorting of the God Project by the Dara Happans. Haradangian and I agreed: if we and our peoples were to survive, we must seek out powerful allies immediately, and whoever sent us this message might share our interests.

And so, at the time of the First Council, Haradangian and I sought out the Only Old One. He convinced us that he sought Balance in both the God Project and in temporal affairs. We sealed a defensive military alliance with him and agreed to consult each other on our contributions to the God Project. In particular, we agreed that the overweening Dara Happans must be countered.

At this time, I also sought audience with the Inner Circle. When I addressed them, I informed them very diplomatically and politely that I was concerned that Lokamayadon had such great and wide-ranging responsibilities that he had neglected to fulfill the full rites of the marriage to my sister. I petitioned the council to urge Lokamayadon to fulfill these rites, for the good of the Brolians. I said no more than this, but of course, the full rite of marriage to the high priestess of Brola by a devotee of Lanatum the Thunderer involves that ritual death of the groom, for the sake of the fertility of the land. I could well understand that Lokamayadon would avoid this rite; nevertheless, since he claimed the unity of Lanatum and Orlanatus, it was his duty. Although I knew that the Inner Circle would not know all this, they agreed to bring the matter to Lokamayadon`s attention.

Later, the Inner Circle summoned both Lokamayadon and myself. Lokamayadon insisted that he had indeed been properly married to my half-sister. I found myself in an embarrassing situation. I prevaricated before the Inner Circle, who knew nothing, it seemed, of our ways. I said I had received only vague oracular intimations that Lokamayadon had not properly fulfilled the rites (which I did not elaborate upon) and that I would seek further proof. I assured the Inner Circle that my concern was for the fertility of Brolia and the prosperity of the people. The issue was tabled.

At this time, I played almost no role in the creation of Osentalka. My friend Haradangian did his best to make the presence of Storm felt in the god, but his influence was slight.

At the Second Council in 360, I began to seek out partners in commerce. I made good trades with several individuals, some of whom were interested in my cheap goods, and I made a good profit. But of more lasting import, I made friendly contact with Yuko Dostipikis, of Third Eye Blue, who sought the iron I had (or could get), and I established relations with Martaler the Blazing Forge, the Mostali ruler of Gemborg, who sought Falangian diamonds.

I also approached Seri-phy-ranor, the governor of Dorastor. I had heard that he was a man of the people who shared my distaste for thoughtless and incautious leaders. I told him of my concern for the Brolian people under the rule of Lokamayadon; again, I was diplomatic and restrained, but I insisted that Lokamayadon had not served the Brolians well -- probably because his many concerns divided his attention. Seri-phy-ranor seemed well disposed to my complaint.

I knew that Haradangian had the mystical power to know the truth about all matters of Storm, so I went to him to gain backing for my complaint against Lokamayadon. To my great distress, he informed me that his knowledge was his alone -- he could do no more than any other mortal in persuading others of it!

And so, when I met with the Inner Circle again, I knew I must be blunt. I told them that the duty of the husband of Brola was to die for the sake of the land, that this was a sacred and honored rite that must be completed for the health of the Earth and the prosperity of the people. I said that if the Inner Circle truly stood for the well-being of all member peoples, they must insist that Lokamayadon fulfill his sacred duty or else return the two sundered tribes to me, so reuniting the Brolians. The Inner Circle asked if I myself then would fulfill the rite, and I answered that it would not be my responsibility, as a follower of Sarius Goldentongue, to marry my sister, but that it was indeed Lokamayadon`s duty, as a follower of Orlanatus-Lanatum. I at least would ensure that my half-sister would find a willing and responsible mate. I also noted that Brolia lies on the border with dangerous barbarians, and that the Council would be ill-served if our lands did not prosper. The Inner Circle seemed duly concerned, and I parted satisfied.

At this time, I also happened to meet Kestinelm, Bright Eagle Lord of Rinliddi, a Dara Happan. I treated him with respect and spoke diplomatically of my concern about Dara Happan trading practices. He then told me in confidence that not all Dara Happans sought a new Empire of Light, that there were those who sought Balance. I spoke of my good relations with the Only Old One. He intimated that if he were emperor of Dara Happa, he would rule with greater regard for his neighbors. I was persuaded by his claims -- and more so by his desire to treat with the Only Old One! I agreed to serve as intermediary. Kestinelm was the bidder for the Dara Happans in the God Project, and he could assure us of his aid in return for ours. Eventually, I arranged a stealthy meeting between him and the Only Old One.

Once again, I played little role in the preparation of the god in this session, although I was present at the bidding and served as best I could by communicating between the allies of Storm and Darkness.

The Third Council, in 365, was decisive for me and for the Brolian people. Lokamayadon himself approached me and asked me how we could settle our differences. I spoke calmly of his duty to Brola and to the Brolian people. He spoke of his great project of uniting the Storm. Finally, we came to agreement. Lokamayadon would give back the two lost tribes to me. Brolia would be reunited and I would be High King. In return, I would no longer insist that he go through the groom`s rite, so long as my half-sister herself did not insist. Moreover, I would join the Brotherhood of the Storm, provided that the customs of Brolia and the identity of Sarius and Lanatum would be respected. I found that I now understood Lokamayadon better -- that indeed, his misrule had come more from his distracted dedication to a higher, and more demanding goal. His good faith was proven to me by his returning my tribes, and we became friends and allies. I was pleased to announce this turn of events to the Inner Circle. The Theyalans were now united, and we worked together for our common good.

Haradangian now sat in the Storm seat of the Inner Circle, and this was a good thing, for a tribe of snow trolls came marauding into my lands in the Talsardian Kingdom. Council troops were quickly sent to deal with this threat, since the Only Old One had no influence over these trolls. My people joined the fight, and we easily dealt with the threat.

Around this time, the Necklace of Kerofin was stolen. As everyone knows, the possession of this necklace confers the right of the Storm seat on the Inner Circle. All the Theyalans, who were now united by Lokamayadon`s spiritual leadership, were dismayed by this event. Through all my trading contacts, I put out word that we sought the necklace. Finally, through Yuko Dostipikis of Third Eye Blue, I learned that Seri-phy-ranor, governor of Dorastor, held it! We Theyalans felt betrayed! But how to get it back?

I developed a plan. Outright violence would not serve us. But I was an expert in trade. I approached Seri-phy-ranor and spoke of our mutual need to enrich our people. We began to discuss various commercial arrangements. Suddenly, the seats on the Fourth Council were announced! It was too late -- at least for this sitting! But I knew there would be a fifth and Last Council, so, furiously, I continued to bargain with Seri-phy-ranor. The governor of Dorastor was distracted, and I used all the power of Sarius Goldentongue our god: Seri-phy-ranor ``decided`` he wished to trade the Necklace of Kerofin! Lokamayadon gave up much of his magical strength to close the bargain. But the necklace was ours!

The Forth Council thus began in 470 with triumph for the Brotherhood of the Storm. Still, my friends were distressed: it seemed that Storm was woefully underrepresented in the Being of the god-to-come. We realized that even if we pooled our material and mystical resources, we would never have -- would never have had! -- any serious impact on the God Project. What should we do?

We decided that we would petition the Inner Circle to make it a rule that only a member of the Brotherhood of the Storm may rightfully bear the Necklace of Kerofin, so ensuring us a place on the Inner Circle. This way, we hoped, we would have a continuing influence over the god-to-come once he-she had come. We also petitioned that it be a rule that the possession of the Necklace must rotate from session to session among the members of the Brotherhood equally. The Inner Circle tabled our request, but we knew we would have a seat in the Last Council. Given the powers of my god Goldentongue, the Brotherhood agreed that I would hold the Necklace for the final session, so that we could have as much diplomatic impact as possible. Despite all my own expectations, I had been thrust into the center of grand politics! I used the powers of my god to lock and preserve the Necklace, and with the iron I had traded for, I had Yuko Dostipikis forge me nearly invincible arms and armor. We would not be defeated!

The final bidding for influence upon the god was a disaster. Storm had no influence, and we were glad that we had secured our role in another way. Seri-phy-ranor sought me out. Greatly distraught, he accused me of dishonesty and challenged me to a wrestling match, unarmed. I said that I had merely worked in the way of my god, and that there was nothing dishonest about Goldentongue`s way. I agreed to meet Seri-phy-ranor in combat, but only with weapons. He refused. I assured him of my good will for the people of Dorastor, that the Brotherhood would not misuse our position, but that the necklace was ours by right. Seri-phy-ranor was, alas, inconsolable, and he parted from me with bitter words.

Meanwhile, the dragonewts attacked Dorastor, and I was summoned to use the powers of the Necklace against them. Happily, the dragonewts were mollified, and the Council went on to the Last Sitting united.

I joined the Last Council in 375. I was much gratified to see my friend Kestinelm of Dara Happa there. The Last Council agreed to the petitions of the Brotherhood of the Storm, and I was pleased. Indeed, all our decisions were unanimous, and I saw this as a good omen for the god-to-come. Our best decision was to name Gon Orta, the great giant, and Vyrope, High Priestess of Dorastor, as the twin tutors of the god, to match the twin genders of the divinity. This, I felt, served the cause of Balance and Unity.

Praise be to the god who has come, and long live the Kingdom of Brolia and the Brotherhood of the Storm!

Arstor of Varstolar, High King of Brolia

[Ed note: the original of this digest included the entire v01.n106 digest within it. I've removed that mistaken inclusion. --LJM]

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #113