Phoenixes

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 95 10:43:33 PST

I am sorely behind on my reading of the Glorantha digest ... I am over two weeks behind (leave on holiday for two weeks and look what happens!). But I just read Sandy's post on phoenixes, and am compelled to post (in the spirit of posting "useful" things, rather than esoterica).

While the erudite sage listed the four most common species of phoenix in Glorantha, there are two more that my researches have found. Both are very rare, yet very ancient. I do not know of a reported sighting in the last century or more.

The Dragonseye

  The dragonseye is (was?) a very big bird, maybe two to three times   the size of the largest Yelmalian Vrok hawk. Its appearance is   quite draconic, and was often seen before actions of a true dragon.   For this reason, people believe these birds to be the eyes of a   dragon. I cannot confirm if this is so, but many were reported   in the seasons prior to the Dragonkill Wars. It is known that when   the dragonseye bird dies, it is reborn just as a dragonnewt is.

  In fact, the bird cannot, to my knowledge, be truly killed. If one   "kills" its physical body, it immolates itself in bright green flames,   leaving only ashes behind. I have no record of anyone's ever capturing   one of these birds or even gaining any part of its body. And no eggs   have ever been found. There are hints that the Kralorelan emperors may   have relationships with the birds, but I do not wish to report rumour   as fact.

  These birds have been observed to be intelligent and to use magic.

The Krjalk bird

  This bird is a chaos beast. It looks similar to the dragonseye bird,   and is usually mistaken for the dragonseye bird, but the Krjalk bird   is smaller. Unlike the dragonseye bird, this bird can be killed, if   one is careful. When its physical form is killed, it too bursts into   flames, but it leaves a charred body behind. This body, if left alone,   will resurrect itself within one week. To prevent this resurrection,   one must dismember the charred remains and spread them to the five   corners of the world, or apply the Holy Flame. Only two eggs of this   bird have been found; thankfully, they were destroyed.

  These birds are not reported to be as intelligent as the dragonseye,   but are craftier than normal birds. It also has a clear hatred for   all creatures with arms, and a greater hatred for winged creatures   with arms. They have not been reported to use magic, but they often   use the horrid powers of chaos.

Michael

Michael C. Morrison    IMS Information Development  Tieline  8-543-4706
Santa Teresa Lab, San Jose, California    (SWS)     Phone (408)463-4706
Bitnet ID:             MCM at VNET                  Fax   (408)463-4101
IBM Mail Exchange ID:  USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL  or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:         G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us