Adventure logging

From: PAUL POFANDT <ppofandt_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 12:51:49 +1100

G'day

In the campains I run, I require the players to keep a log of all events. This is purley for their own
benefit as it gives them something to look back on.

One of my players, recently waxed lyrical and produced a rather interesting account of thier
last mission. I'm submitting it purely for entertainment.

Hope you find it interesting.

Wound Stonefelis stopped, tense and alert. He had been jumpy ever since the ambush at the river. The memory brought a grimace as a vision of the newtling warriors jumped into his head. Stones whizzing through the air, newtling retainers
falling dead into the river, a short skirmish, and then they were gone [0].

It had not been a good start to this mission. We hadn't even come close to the area
of the North Bog where the Duck pirates were hiding out. Wound rubbed at a minor wound on his chest. The black-purple bruise had paled and would shortly disappear
[1]. But that was then and now was later. He had been unlucky enough to fall
into
a pool of quicksand earlier and his padding still clung and abraded him uncomfortably. Not to mention the irritation and annoyance at being so helpless as his companions pulled him free of the clutching mud.

There it was again. A rustle and a movement close by. He saw something! Large and green, just behind the bushes to the left of the party [2].

"There! It's there. I saw it." pointed Wound.

Suddenly the air was rent by a scream of attack as Vandor Sunarmor charged towards where Wound had pointed. His spear passed effortlessly through the foliage and the large fleshy leaf of a swamp yam like a fireblade through rhino fat. Vandor's scream suddenly went up an octave or two and a large splash was heard [3].

"Okay. So there was nothing there. It's not my fault. I could have sworn I saw something."

"Perhaps you did it so someone besides yourself would be wet through", grumbled Vandor as the party pulled him out of the quicksand. He looked miserable and soaked, still shaking from adrenaline overload.

Wound turned away with a stony expression upon his face.

The path they followed, opened out into a clearing with the ramshackeld, overgrown bones of a small stone structure in the middle of it.

Wound sized it up.

"If the pirates are within, I feel that it would be better if we took the advantage of surprise".

Carefully he eased his antique Greatsword from its' holder, stowed his axe safely away,
and with a wink and a smile at his comrades he charged straight into the ruin.

A hideous, supernatural wail filled the air and Wounds' right arm went dead as something hit him from behind [4]. Thoughts flashed through his mind.

"That doesn't sound like ducks"
"My arm feels awfully cold, why can't I move it"
"I'm alone!"
"I'd better get out of here FAST"

Without breaking stride he was out of the other side of the ruin. Another loud splash
was heard in the bog.

The battle with the wraith was later written up in the book of "How NOT to conduct a battle". The only warrior with a better than average chance of banishing the wraith was currently neck deep in quicksand and trying to hold onto his ancestral weapon to prevent it from sinking. Were it not for a reserve fighters' minor spirit protection spell [5] and a small sharpsword trick
[6] it would have been all over. We won the fight eventually, thank Humakt.

[7]

The Duck pirates were quickly dispatched with a minimum of fuss and no loss of life (on our side).

[0] The players are currently working their way through the 2nd scenario of the
Borderlands boxed set. In this mission, they have to defeat a group of duck pirates,
deep within the North bog of the Zola Fel river.

[1] Wound is a Humakti warrior with the Geas of "Accept no magical healing at
all."
As a consequence, he's become rather good at First-Aid.

[2] At this point Wound had just fumbles his scan roll. The player still acted
this out flawlessly.

[3] Vandor, reacting to the pointer, performed a perfect lunge attack (critical)
on a large leaf and ended up in the pool of quicksand just the other side of it.

[4] Wound had been hit by a wraith, completely disabling his arm. Since he
wielded a two handed weapon, he was now temporarily out of the fight. He kept running. Unfortunately, quicksand pits are very common in the North bog at that time of the year.

[5] Spirit Screen 2
[6] Bladesharp 2

[7] At this point, the players creativity ran out.

Catch Ya.

    Paul.

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #114