Chalana Arroy , the Meek, Mild and Molested

From: Pinch
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:11 1997

>Within a city and with civilised people it is comparatively easy to be

> merciful and generous, however, outside these havens of peace or in
> times of extremes the attitude shown by an individual healer may be
> different....

I have queries about the limit to which a Chalana Arroy can go without violating their oath. Any comments would be appreciated. First a revision.

The following Cult Oath is similar in Cults of Prax, the Cults Book & River of Cradles. "A healer must take an oath never to harm an intelligent creature or needlessly cause pain to any living thing. Foes incapacitated by a healers action (..) are under her protection. .... " Chaos is exempt from this protection.

Compare this to the following description from Runemasters (circa 1980). "Cult members must have a sincere wish to heal others, and take an oath never to harm a living creature and to aid all within the limits of their ability. All members become vegetarians. A cult member may defend herself but harming others is only permitted if there is no other way of escaping. Cultists may not train in combat skills or use offensive spells other than sleep, befuddle or dullblade or binding. They cast sleep or befuddle only against those who attack first, and will protect one-time attackers who do not attack again."

I state my less controversial thoughts first.

Combat against attacking peoples: This list includes those most noble and sociable of races such as Tusk riders, Dragonnewts and Morokanth (Morokanth probably being the friendliest of this short list).

Here I see the oath as being clearcut. Once slept (or befuddled) these people would be under the healers protection. If sleep or befuddling failed the healer couldn't physically attack (dodge and parry are okay) these peoples or the oath would be broken. The healer has to rely on the protection of other people around, and if there are none around, then unless it is possible to flee, the healer is at the others mercy.

Actually , I'd like to see the invention of the Chalana Arroy Neck pinch. :)

Combat against attacking spirits: A chalana arroy healer is able to use any methods at their employ to defeat these things. This should include physical means (eg fists, bladesharped weapon (though how the healer got one of these things in the first place is a different matter)) where the spirit also has a physical presence.

But what if the "evil sprit" is in control of another persons' body?

Combat against attacking chaos monsters and undead creatures: I include vampires in this list (_even_ if they are intelligent).

Use of befuddle or sleep against attacking intelligent creatures of chaos or undead is permitted and I would dare say encouraged. Allies could then take care of these foul creatures at will.

But what if there were no allies (or none left). Would the Chalana Arroy pick up a two handed sword to slay these foul creatures? Or what if one of these creatures were about to slay a fallen comrade and the only way to protect them was to pick up the handy weapon (and I'll let you guess the rest).

And what about the unintelligent creatures? What magics are there for the healer to aid in halting these creatures if they do not sleep. Would a healer be permitted to use arms to destroy these travesties of life?

And if in need against these types of creatures, would the use of arms be encouraged or frowned upon?

I anxiously (nervously too!) await your postings.

Brian.B.D.Pinch_at_msm.bhp.com.au <SPACE RESERVED FOR RENT>