Gorgorma

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:22:32 +0800

        I play that Gorgorma is usually very seldom worshipped. Those who worship her are generally those who have had some traumatic event in their life when the forces of civilisation (Yelm, Dendara, etc.) have failed them - - they have been brutally punished unjustly by a noble, have been raped, etc. Such people often become outcasts or pariahs, and often worship Gorgorma.

        I don't really see the cult as having much of a presence in normal times. I suspect a few other cults (Yara Aranis, obviously, perhaps Jakaleel) might deal with it as an associated cult or something, but I think that there are very few dedicated Gorgorma worshippers in everyday Dara Happa.

        But I also play Gorgorma as the goddess of the Jacquerie, the peasant uprising. When there are many people who have been wronged by the nobility, then the cult becomes strong, and starts recruiting from among the diaffected. Then the peasantry starts making makeshift spears, outlaws begin attacking soldiers, and even the unworthy animals of the forest and farmyard (bears, pigs) may turn against the forces of order. The Lodril cult may also take some part in any peasant rebellion, but they certainly wouldn't start one.

        I have for a long time been planning a Dune style campaign where all the PCs are either young members of, or retainers of, a Dara Happan noble family. If I ever run this game, then they will at one stage have to cope with a peasant uprising, and I intend to make it vicious.

        Cheers
                David Cake