Rerebirth.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 23:14:01 GMT

Loren the List says:
> Unlike Michael, I think that the rebirth ceremonies for Ernalda take
> place at the *end* of the winter, and not in the middle. There's
> ample historical precedent on our own earth for this.

Well, there's ample precedent on our own earth for rebirth-type myths and ceremonies at _both_ midwinter and the start of spring. One might argue that the winter ones (Consumermas, feast of I. Sol, Hanukkah, Yule...) are largely of a Solar type, which does indeed seem to be the pattern of the Gloranthan monomythic calendar.

> April used to
> be the beginning of the year. In fact the phrase April Fool arose
> because some people insisted on celebrating the new year three months
> after everybody else, on April 1 instead of January 1, as they had
> done before they adopted the Roman calendar.

This is an interesting theory, but in what calendar was April 1st the first day of the new year? Not in (any of the various hare-brained dysfunctional versions of) the Roman Republican calendar, which at least agreed with itself that years began on 1 March. (Nothing to do with Mad March hares, either.) There's a number of vaguely similar hilarity-related days throughout earth, all round about the vernal equinox; any Monomyth fans want to have a Eurmal holy day at the end of Storm season?

Alex.