Broken Council Guidebook

From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 1995 00:40:16 -0800

David Dunham:
>Despite criticism of the play of The Broken Council (which I didn't
>participate in), the Broken Council Guidebook is very well done. I don't
>know if it has Greg's blessing or not, but I recommend it to anyone
>interested in the First Age history of Maniria, Peloria, and Ralios.

Thanks for the encouraging words on the Guidebook.

Greg was very kind in providing access to his files on the First Age, and discussing areas of confusion or contradiction. I don't know if I'd use the word blessing, but Greg definitely saw and gave comments on the two main articles (the history and the geography), so hopefully they are relatively accurate (which isn't to say that I don't already know of some minor errors...)

>Perhaps one of the Con organizers could post ordering information again.

There's an opportunity I can't pass up. Your check is in the mail, David. If you'd like to purchase the Broken Council Guidebook, it's $10. Checks should be made out to "Eric Rowe" and sent to:

	RQ Con 2
	2520 Hillegass, #101
	Berkeley, CA	94704

I also have copies of the Sog City Guide, for $10, and if you order both books, I'll throw in a copy of the RQ-Con 2 Program Guide as well, until I run out.

>Now all I have to do is restrain myself from starting a campaign portraying
>the conversion of the Galanini to the twin storm gods Orlanth and Humath...

To clarify on the twin gods Orlanth and Humath:

Humath was actually the native storm god of Ralios before the Orlanthi arrived. He was a minor god at the time, just one of many, and he had no special worshipers. The people prayed to him in times of war, but otherwise he was forgotten.

When the Theyalans first came to Ralios, they brought word of Orlanth, and many people turned to his worship. Humath gained power at the same time from those who suddenly saw the power that the Storm truly controlled, but did not want to turn to a foreign diety. Saying that Humath and Orlanth are brothers is, of course, an artificial construct set in place by the Theyalans to gain additional converts among the lowlanders of Ralios.

Shannon