Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #120

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 14:41:43 +0800

I suspect that there will be a few varying answers to this, but here are mine.

>Can an initiate learn all of the command and special divine magic spells
>available to the cult as one-use (provided that the spells are reusable for
>priests)?

        I even let them learn spells as 1-use if they are available to Wind Lords reuseably, not priests. This may contradict the cult description, I can't recall. I don't let them learn Orlanth Rex (Chieftain) 1-use spells unless they are actually in that sub-cult (nobility and poets).

>Can initiates learn common divine spells and/or spirit magic spells from
>"associate" or friendly cults?

        They can't learn common divine, they can learn spirit magic, though at an increased cost (not that much though). For prior experience purposes I usually let them take some associate spirit magic.

 If no, what does an initiate of a "rare" cult
>do?

  1. Not use common Divine magic much (stick with their Special divine)
  2. Lose out
  3. or...

> Do they have to pilgrimage to a shrine or temple every time they want
>spells? Or, do the priests travel around to come to their followers?

        Depends on the cult. Many 'rare' cults simply have worshippers that leave their homes and stay at temples instead. Some travel, some pilgrimage, some have visiting priests. Some combine all these techniques.

>Are all clan members expected to become initiates of Orlanth, or just
>Lightbringer gods, or just "acceptable" Orlanthi cults?

The bottom line is, "acceptable" cults. But they look at you funny if you aren't a plain Orlanthi (or one of the rural sub-cults like Voriof, Barntar) - non-Orlanthi are special and unusual.

        Cheers
                Dave