Re: Initiates and Magic

From: via RadioMail <David>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 00:27:43 -0800

Mark Hansen asks

>Can an initiate learn all of the command and special divine magic spells
>available to the cult as one-use (provided that the spells are reusable for
>priests)?

Yes. Many cults would impose restrictions, i.e. if the priest didn't know who you were, he might not let you sacrifice. But if the Renekoti godi knows the Renekoti characters and they're in good standing, they can sacrifice for any reusable spell.

The only exception is subcult spells; you have to join the subcult. This might be a formality, it might involve additional geases, or it might be hard to join.

>Can initiates learn common divine spells and/or spirit magic spells from
>"associate" or friendly cults? If no, what does an initiate of a "rare" cult
>do? Do they have to pilgrimage to a shrine or temple every time they want
>spells? Or, do the priests travel around to come to their followers?

Spirit magic I say yes, divine magic only with specific approval of the priest, not lightly granted. Yes, some initiates have to go to a distant shrine (Gustbran), or wait for an itinerant priest (Issaries).

>I believe it was Sandy P. that posted (a while back) some alternative ideas for
>gaining POW. Does anybody remember them, or have similar ideas? I think it
>was something like you get a point of POW for attending high holy days for the
>cults. If so, seems kind of unfair if your cult has fewer high holy days, so I
>must have it wrong.

All cults have one high holy day per year.

>Are all clan members expected to become initiates of Orlanth, or just
>Lightbringer gods, or just "acceptable" Orlanthi cults?

I would play that clan members are expected to join an acceptable cult -- Agharl's brother-in-law Azel is an Elmal worshipper, and is indeed the loyal follower to Agharl his stead leader. Azel is a good Orlanthi (member of the culture), even if he isn't a worshipper of Orlanth.