Risklands

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 95 16:08:00 PST

All this Risklands discussion has inspired me to report the highlights of our last Risklands session, in my recently resurrected Dorastor campaign.

Agharl, Steadleader: David Dunham
Azel the Loyal Elmali: Dana Schack
Teokartas, peasant soldier from Dara Happa: Dave Pearton Venharl the Smith: Max Buckner
Rhitpa, Ernalda Acolyte/ Dokat Initiate: Loren Foster Ankazagam: Yelm Imperator/RG Priest NPC from scenario by Grahme Lindsell

Highlights of the Wedding in Frog River

Agharl decides to spare no expense for Azel's wedding to Kalifa Kalf. They invited everyone in Frog River, Alferzhed the Telmori Hunter, Renekot and the Lightbringer Ring, and the three Lunars who were still camping at their stead.

Teokartas, a Lodril initiate, volunteered to be in charge of the beer and the mud-wrestling. First he dug a Sacred Cistern, which constantly refilled with river water. (This was to keep the casks of beer cold). Then he prepared nice mud patch, full of slippery clay mud. He told Agharl to bring back lots of women from Hazard fort, to help participate in the orgies - er, rituals - which accompany a proper wedding. Knowing that these Orlanthi would need inspiration in fertility matters, Teokartas gathered lots of "Passion Violet" a small forest violet common in Peloria, famed for it's aphrodesic properties. (Teokartas, originally a farmer, knows quite a bit about the local plants.)

Agharl returned with lots of beer, and gifts for the guests, but no women.  Venharl had to build a special outdoor oven for the steadwomen to do all the baking. Worried that the beer might go bad, Teokartas selflessly sampled it at frequent intervals.

Renekot and the Ring arrived the afternoon before the wedding, which was on an Elmal holy day (Fire/Truth/Fire). On the eve of the wedding, the women retired inside the stead with the bride. The men sat outside around the fire. They didn't know quite what the women were doing, but occasionally wild laughter would escape the stead.
 While consuming mass quantities of beer, The men all gave Azel advice on how to treat his future wife:
Renekot: "Be generous and just."
Agharl: "Listen to her advice."
Ankazagam: "She'll be happier when she learns obedience." Toekartas: "They're blathering in Bilini - better drink more beer."

 Alferzhed appeared out of the darkness, bearing a raw haunch of something unidentifiable. Not used to alcohol, the Telmori got plastered and heaved on Lumi.
  Teokartas tried to liven things up by putting violet juice in Lumi's beer. (Lumi is Eurmal on the Ring).

Sometime later, the men heard shrill screams from the stead. They arrived to find Lumi, naked, trying to carry off the bride. He was ceremoniously thrown in the river. After that, everyone felt better that the Jest had been played; Azel and Kalifa would now have good luck.

Wedding day: Azel and Kalifa were married by the Godi while standing on top of the burm that circles the stead. Rhitpa gave them a fertility blessing.  Much eating ensued, followed by dancing to music provided by those multi-talented Burisons. A small crises occured when Benara, Agharl's wife, was torn between serving the meat the Telmori brought (hospitality), and possibly serving something chaotic to guests. Agharl compromised by putting out the meat as "the uncooked option".

Teokartas tried to interest the women in his mud patch, to no avail.  Venharl wrestled with him, to show that an Orlanthi can beat a Lunar.  Venharl did quite well, and Teokartas spent a lot of time being flung into the mud. At one point, Venharl tried to fling Teokartas at Ankazagam, to see if mud would stick to him, but the Imperator had quietly removed himself from the mud zone long before. Finally Teokartas triumphed; his prize was more beer.

Story Telling Fest:
Teokartas: How Lodril Got His 237th Son (in graphic detail, with lots of volcanos exploding).

The guests presented their gifts: Renekot gave Ezel a fine broadsword, Teokartas gave them a shovel, and Agharl gave the couple the only private room in the stead for their wedding night. Ankazagam, who couldn't look stingy, gave Azel a FireBlade matrix, and told him he must lead a pure life to use it. (Azel will find out what that means, later...) The other Lunar, a HumaktUleria acolyte, cast a E.L. spell for them. They didn't even need all those violets Teokartas had slipped them!

This event brought up lots of questions: are Bilini marriages permanent, or just for a certain time period? What does the ceremony consist of? What are the Elmal Holy days? (We decided Truth week/Firedays, with the HHD in Storm Season).

As for the fellow who questioned the economics: just wing it. If the PC's work hard, give 'em a break. If they blow off the farm, let 'em starve.

   You've got more to worry about as a GM (like how to make Dorastor challanging but not instantly lethal).

Nick: I liked your bit on taxes = helping other clan members. I think I'll have my PC's be asked by Renekot to give help to their new neighbors, since they're SO successful:-)

Pam