YT: I understand

From: Nick Eden <pheasant_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 95 17:48 GMT

> From: pheasant_at_cix.compulink.co.uk (Nick Eden)
> Subject: Officers? Nah...

Somebody's hard disc went and died on him didn't it? I had a discourse on the YTites that appeared in my PenDragon Pass game here. They were all 26 year men, soldiers and NCO's who'd been given a land grant in Sartar, and were building their homes in the middle of the Bearclaw clan's hunting grounds. All YT's. Even had a little shrine and a fair bit of Rune Magic, and skills well above 100, but they weren't officers and so had never thought of trying to become a Scimitar.

 Andrew Joelson

At last I see were Andrew's position is coming from. It makes sense.

The problem with it is that CoP, while a very wonderful book in it's day suffered from certain problems. I have heard the the central flaw was that Steve Perrin, having defined how the typical cult should be structured shoehorned all cults into the same patterns.

This results in some rather silly things, like Daka Fal and Eiritha Rune Lords, not to mention the very dubious CA and LM Rune Lords. And Humakt and Zorak Zoran spliting the role of warrior and priest.

These days all these warrior cults don't have Rune Lords and Rune Priests. They have Rune Lords, who are effectively RLPs.

I was rather shocked by this when I first realised that this was what had been done, but it makes a lot more sense really.

There isn't a priestly function that's more important than being like your god - Warrior Gods and Warrior Priests. Makes perfect sense.