Kralorelan names

From: Truls Parsson <Truls.Parsson_at_eua.ericsson.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 95 18:59:16 +0100

Nils Weinander has japanised the Kralorelan names.

Ming Tzu La (Metsyla), Ga Dong Ah (Godunya) etc.

Explaining this by saying that he thinks the names we use have been europeanised. That should be God learnerised of course. When I first saw it I didn't think much of it, but I have looked a little in the Genertela book and found little to support Nils theory. The main basis of this seems to be to make it more japanese (or chinese). I think it is bad to draw too highly on world parallells. The lunars ain't the romans.

If you look at Kralorelan names in the Genertela book you will find both names that are split up and those that are not. Of those that are, the geographical ones is a name and the other is "a statement of terrain" (can't think of the correct word) like Shan meaning mountain and Chang meaning island. Thus Hu Shan would be the Hu mountains and Shan Shan would be The great mountains (or something like that). Thus when they call it the Shan Shan Mountains in the Genertela book it is a show of ignorance by the scribe. These split names I just mentioned don't point in the split direction as it common to use "a statement of terrain" in Europe or America (North Sea, Rocky Mountains). So remaining you got mostly non-split words and a few split words.

Let's look at the names of the Emperors. All of those names are non-split except Shang Hsa. All of them are praised except for Shang Hsa. Why should this be?
Why would the scribe put all other names together except for one? My suggestion is that the split of names was due to Shang Hsa and is thought of as wrong. Maybe this had something to do with his achivement?

So why do there still exist names that are split?

  1. Some names are no longer split but the data compiled is old and thus some names are from before the restoration of names.
  2. One doesn't change names lightly espescially those given by Emperors, so even though he was a bad Emperor he was still an Emperor and thus it takes time to change the names. For if one would change them like Shang Hsa then one would be as bad as him.

Or it could be a combination of both.

I also found that old names like that of there capital in the Golden age usually are non-split. So I think it seems more likely that Kralorelan names are non-split. Though they seem to be at least partially descriptive.

Comments?

PS.
The correct theyalan spelling of a few Gods follow below. Or Lan Ti (Ti = God,Lord)
Um Ak Ti
Ur Xi
Ma Ta Kos

Hmm. maybe not the correct but wouldn't it be fun if they were.