YT

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 17:42:24 +0800

>That parts of the cult (subcults or Scimitar status) are limited to the
>officers. (This idea is for those who don't like to limit membership of
>the whole cult.) After all, worship of Orlanth the King is limited even
>though worship of Orlanth Adventurous is much less so.

        I do not think that this is always the case. I do think that the military hierarchy does acknowledge (and even sometimes require) cult rank.

        Basically I think the Lunar army hierarchy does require that its officers be members of some acceptable cult. The only cult that is always acceptable, to all regiments, is probably Yanafals Tarnils (Hwarin Dalthippa possibly). But many other cults are acceptable to specific regiments - some probably prefer Yelmic officers, some regiments have their own cults and prefer to draw their officers from within their ranks, some stress special cults.

        I think that the Imperial Bodyguard requires Lunar cults, not just 'acceptable' cults. I don't have any detailed knowledge of the IB regiments, though, so I could be wrong. MOB probably has this info.

        As to commissions being purchasable, I think that this is true, but not for all regiments. I think most of the Native Furthest Corps consists of Lunar officers (or rich Lunarised Lunar provincials, like the Fazzurites), and grumbling provincial troops.

        This also applies to many of the Heartland Corps regiments, but not all, especially as some have unusual requirments. The various Phalanxes, for example, require you to have high rank within their own unique cults. I think that the Imperial Bodyguard, in keeping with its image as an elite grouping, has at least a policy of recruiting on merit, and probably picks officers mostly from within its own ranks. This is not to say that people do not pick up commissions as a result of social status, but it is not a simple financial transactions - some intrigue and pressure might be involved.

        I do not think that all YTs are officers, either. I think there are some entirely YT regiments.

        I agree that a large part of the discussion is an RQ2 vs RQ3 problem. There are no such things as YT priests, only Scimitars, who have some aspects of both Lords and Priests. And being an RQ2 fan who doesn't like the RQ2 rules is no excuse - its a Glorantha change really, not a rules change.

        Cheers
                David