G'day again!

From: MOBTOTRM_at_vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 23:54:57 +1100

G'day to everyone!

I've been away from e-mail and the digest for a while, and so have only caught the tail-end of the raging YT controversy. I had a great time at RQ Con II, and enjoyed chewing scenery for 6+ hours as the Darjin usuurper Mathiman (the Impaler, also styled, it seems "the Drunkard") in the Broken Council freeform. It was good to meet so many familiar faces again, and match some e-mail addresses to faces. Probably the worst aspect of the con was the hotel's restaurant: of all the cuisines in the world, it had to pick close to the worst: English! Amazing as it seems, even the "Pub"'s menu stated "English food is truly an appetite supressant" (really, it did!)

I got home on Friday afternoon (after a harrowing 30 hour trip as we got caught by the midnight curfew in Sydney and then the Pope's visit the following day), and then was back at the airport again the next morning to fly to Alice Springs for a camping trip with my wife Su. We had a sensational time, visiting Ayer's Rock, the Olgas and King's Canyon - highly recommended if you ever come Down Here (Jan 1996 everyone???)

Now it's back to the mundane grind of work, dammit, including reorganising a library that is probably about as well organised as the Lhankor Mhy temple's in Jonstown. Fortunately, I have had the Regional Curriculum' Consultant come in and help, the equivalent of a LM Heroquester in many ways.

YT Controversy

My response to all of this is very simple: read what Nick said in V1 #126. I share his sentiments entirely. Thanks Nick, you saved me writing something which would essentially covered the same points. Nick and I enjoy bouncing ideas off each other, and there is no better way to do it than in person. I just wish we lived on the same side of the planet! If anything, probably the best thing we came up with together at RQ Con for SOLDIERS was the idea of the New Lolin regimental mascot, Pookie; a Shetland pony-SIZed freshwater crayfish that is actually quite harmless, but of course looks like a chained demon-chaos-spawn to the Orlanthi, who have never seen anything like it.

Cheers

MOB