Spells and cults.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 23:07:04 GMT

David Cake:
> I even let [Initiates] learn spells as 1-use if they are available to Wind
> Lords reuseably, not priests. This may contradict the cult description, I
> can't recall.

The cult description is not informative on this point. I think David's idea makes sense, at least where the two branches of the cult (Adventurous and Thunderous) coexist in the same temple. Many smaller rural temples will also have Thunderous priests though, so initiates of such temples won't be able to get such spells (and priests probably not, either), at least locally.

If one wanted to be stricter, I think it'd be better to give initiates the choice of which sets of magic to have access to, rather than restricting them to necessarily the priest's spells. This would effectively be classifying the initiates into Adventurous and Thunderous initiates.

> >Are all clan members expected to become initiates of Orlanth, or just
> >Lightbringer gods, or just "acceptable" Orlanthi cults?

> The bottom line is, "acceptable" cults. But they look at you funny if you
> aren't a plain Orlanthi (or one of the rural sub-cults like Voriof,
> Barntar) - non-Orlanthi are special and unusual.

I'd say the important cut-off corresponding to associate cults, of either Orlanth or Ernalda. Admittedly this is a variable concept, the list varying from region to region, and furthermore, if your local Orlanth temple has no shrine to Issaries, any of his cultists are really just associates in name only, and are little more than lay members for most purposes. Anyone not one the Canonical List of Associates is a pretty weird chook, indeed. If they're also Orlanthi/Ernaldans, they're still weird, but at least they pull their weight in Sensible worship.

Alex.