Harrek, friend of Yogi?

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 23:10:01 GMT

Paul Reilly on Harrek killing the White Bear:
> I think of this differently from the way most people do, apparently, not
> as an adversarial thing but more as a 'deeper initiation' thing. Harrek is
> not some enemy of the White Bear, he is a descendant and chosen avatar. I
> think of Harrek's family as the Last Of The Polar Bear Hsunchen. The god is
> aware that something has gone wrong with the weather and ecology up north and
> is trying to shape events to repair this imbalance. Harrek's 'apotheosis' is
> part of that shaping. (Implications of Harrek vs. Lunars now obvious)

I think the killing of the Bear by Harrek was certainly a hostile act on his part (isn't that almost tautologous, in fact?), but I agree that he is also serving said spirit's "agenda". This might almost work like a variety of covert possession.

Greg's said that Harrek isn't really a Hero in the Cambellian sense, since he isn't making much of a fist of the backward half of the hero myth cycle. Perhaps there could, after all be some sort of post-Harrek cult; a kind of latter-day Valind, maybe.

Alex.