YT-Mess

From: a2230798_at_athena.rrz.uni-koeln.de
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:07:36 +0100 (MET)

Hi folks, this is Ralf Engels typing,

        ... ahem, maybe Andrew Joelson`s still not satisfied with the way Yanafal Tarnils and his cult is considered on this list, but IMHO it`s dragging along, churned and churned again.

> If you are bored by the YT debate, I suggest that you lean on
> your NEXT key. Heavily.

        I do, and yet I feel that it won`t do any good, because there seems to be an unreconcilable difference between your worthy and appreciated opinion and the other, equally worthy and appreciated opinions.

> Dennis Hoover takes me to task for basing much of my arguments on
> Cults of Prax, a charge which I gladly acknowledge; I said so in the
> first place. What should I base my arguments upon, Gods of Glorantha?
> This too is out of date, and my limited experience with it showed it
> to be broader but shallower than CoP. The fact that I am using an old
> source doesn't lessen the value of the ideas expressed within.

        For me, as for others, it does. There has been a somewhat funda- mental change in many, many aspects with the introduction of RQ3 + subsequent releases, including the appearance of cults which have only the position of a Cult Lord: not "priest", but an avatar of the god in question with additional priestly functions.

        IMHO these cults are plenty, as are cults which do not have the position of Rune Lord; most of them are small, obscure or maddeningly deadly, not necessaryly in this order. YT is the lunar spinoff of Humakt, his healed portion of being; and thus I assume YT took the cult structure with him when he "defected to the other side". I have seen on this list even the argument that he goes on granting gifts and geasa.

        Where to base your arguments on ? Well, old sources are there, and you can use them for inspiration, BUT you should be aware that there`s a lot that`s come after CoP, that it might have invalidated part of the information contained therein for many people, and that there`s no point arguing tiring-/tirelessly about this dead fish.

        This last was especially IMO only, not meant as an insult.

        I vote that this argument might be taken off the list for some time, and the results only posted some time hence.

                So far my quota of YT debating thoughts,

                                                        Ralf