Humakti cowards, YT Subcult

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 09 Feb 95 02:56:08 EST

Dave Boleyn asks:
> What would be the implication for a Humakti who during a battle with
> undead, when totally out numbered, recieved a DI from one of his other
> cults and chose the option of being teleported out of danger, leaving
> other Humakti to fight to the death.

I'd guess he'd feel shock and remorse on learning that none of the others got away, and a desire to atone by killing still more undead. Whatever he does or doesn't do, the god may send mocking dreams to coerce him into an act of repentance. A spirit of reprisal would not be too extreme, IMHO.

Scriptural example: the Temple of the Wooden Sword.

: We found our nights haunted by visions, visions of a sword. A sword?
: THE sword! The Wooden Sword. That which we had so valiantly carried
: against the whole of the Sazdorf Troll Tribe. Those barbarous trolls.
: Once before we battled that accursed horde and had been forced back
: in shame and defeat. We staggered home, but none would hear our cry
: for forgiveness and understanding, least of all Humakt, our God of
: War. In our dishonour we had shamed him also, and losses enough he
: has suffered at the hands of the Lunar Empire.
:
: "Back!" he cried. "Go back and avenge my honour, your honour! Because
: of you that tribe has turned to the worship of my hateful enemy, Zorak
: Zoran!"
:
: So back we went...

(from Alebard's Diary)

A neutral historian writes:

: This same band of [Humakti] warriors was shortly after [fleeing from
: combat] haunted by bad dreams and clear visions. Humakt was displeased
: with the tarnish upon his honour. The group, rudely aware of what it
: means to worship a death god, prepared themselves and set off.

I love that last parenthetical phrase: "rudely aware of what it means to worship a death god". Whyever worship Humakt, if you aren't ready to die well?

If you want the whole story of the Temple of the Wooden Sword (and much, much more!), hang in there: Wyrms Footprints is going through its final proofreading stages this month!

> One of the Dead Humakti

When dead Humakti come back asking for vengeance, something is seriously wrong! (CoP p.64, BV text on CA)

: Eye-whisper said he detected the ragged ghost of Alain, Sword of
: Humakt, plaguing the consciousness of the healer. I recalled that
: Humakti had prepared an expedition against broos active in Sog
: Ruins. The mere thought of a foe which could make a Humakti Rune
: Lord remain as an undead did chill me to my soul.

BTW, I am *not* criticising the referee or players in this incident, whatever they did or did not do. I'm just digging up some more-or-less parallel incidents from "canonical" Gloranthan sources, for you and they to use and abuse as you see fit. Dying is a shame, but dying well is a glorious thing: in Humakt's Hall they are drinking your character's health! (Any Humakti who fled will be lucky to get in the door...)

Dave Cake asks:
> As an aside, though, I suspect most of the Native Furthest Corps has
> Seven Mothers chaplains, and many of these would be in the YT branch
> of the Seven Mothers.

Having been one of these Seven Mothers chaplains (People's Tribune Rasheena Jhal, the Zealot of the Seven Mothers' Temple of Bagnot, temporarily assigned to the Bagnot Militia), I agree completely!

Perhaps this assignment is the "one month (at least) in the YT subcult" that all Priestesses of the Seven Mothers must serve?

> Anyone who is up on their Lunar history want to nominate a notable > Lunar general or champion?

Aronius Jaranthir! Another great Carmanian military leader, the hero who saved the Lunar Empire when the chips were down.

Nick