Re: sandy speaks!

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idpentium.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 15:17:12 -0600

Peter M.

>I am having doubts about the conventional wisdom of the magical
>armies units beloved of Dragon Pass as being invented by the Lunar
>Empire.
>My feeling is that the magical units are really an ancient magical

>technique of the Dara Happan Empire. [Peter then goes on to describe
>a fine technique that was no doubt used by the Dara Happans]

        But I disagree with your interpretation there. I still hold to my theory that the Lunar unbeatability in combat stems from their mass use of not-necessarily-all-that-terrific magicians.

>I wish to make it clear that the Priests mentioned above are not
>your average run-of-the-mills Priests

        Yes, exactly my point. I'm sure that the ancient Dara Happans had a special ritual in which the planetary magicians all got in their big circle. No doubt in their ancient struggles against their foes, they'd get the very best 49 priests of all the kingdom to do this ritual.

        The Lunars emulate this ritual, too, but when they do it, they set up ten or fifteen separate planetary circles all at once, and, spreading the good priests thinly among the run-of-the-mill ones, and then, instead of one really terrific magic blast, the lunars get a coordinated thwacking of 10-15 pretty darn good ones. Of course, the dangers involved in this may lead to casualties among the magicians in the circles, but there's a war on, after all. Besides, there's more where they came from. Plus resurrection isn't that hard for the empire.