Why 8c--19c Japanese didn't eat meal

From: Takehiro OHYA <KFC01067_at_niftyserve.or.jp>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 16:13:00 +0900

Takehiro OHYA speaking.

This article is for those who want to know the real Japan, maybe for adding some image of Vormain. I know this makes no contribution for Chalana Arroy problem. Sadly enough.

Alison Place said: (Changed CR place)
>Of his two examples, Japan's climate is much like parts of New
>England, while China varies from subtropical to a continental
>frigidity.

As for Japanese Climate, it's not true. Japan (or its main islands) lies from 30N to 45N. Tokyo, the capital of Japan and where I live, is 35N. Japan is hotter than New England. Maybe the climate of the aria from Georgia to Virginia is somehow like Japan. But this don't makes Alison's thesis weaker.

>The Japanese rely heavily on fish everywhere. A peasant may be
>too poor to eat meat much, but that's hardly the same thing as
>avoiding meat.

In fact, the Japanese avoided meat, especially because of Buddhism. Don't forget almost all of us, the Japanese, are Buddhist now. A peasant may be too poor to eat meat, yes, but even the wealthier people didn't eat any meat as food.

# "There is always another way." The rabbits are regarded as FISH,   and even some Souryo (Buddhism Priests) ate them. Poor rabbits!

At least in Japan, the Buddhist monks who kept the most strict rule didn't eat any fish and meat, and all other people in this country relies on fish and didn't eat any meat.
Probably the priests of the Shindo (or Shindoism, Japanese traditional religion) only ate fish. But my knowledge may be not accurate.

# In fact, in medieval (from 7th century to 15c) and medievalmodern

   (from 16c to Meiji Revolution, 1889) Japan, Buddhism and   Shindo was very integrated and makes little difference.

Takehiro OHYA _at_ College of Arts and Sciences The Univ. of Tokyo