Re: Yanafal Tarnils

From: Paul Reilly <paul_at_phyast.pitt.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 17:39:28 +0500

    Paul Reilly here.

  About the YT debate: first note that I think that Gloranthan pagans, like many many Earth Pagans, and even some Earth 'monotheists' (e.g., Solomon the Wise) are not at all averse to sacrificing to gods other than the god(s) they are sworn to. See for example practically everybody in the early Roman Empire (other than the Jews and Samaritans) happily sacrifing to the _genii_ of the Caesars in exchange for various small political (or perceived spiritual) benefits. No big deal. See Cato the Elder* sacrificing to the protective spirit of a stand of trees next to his farm when he wants to cut down a few trees. See the behavior of Roman soldiers when conquering a foreign city: it was considered essential to appease the FOREIGN gods, even if they were previously unknown to the Romans!** Our ideas of jealous gods and the exclusivity they demand is very mucha product of Judeo-Christian culture and I'd rather not impose it on the Lunar Empire, thank you very much. (I.e., I agree with Nick about various types in the Army being quite willing to "join as lay members" for a quick YT worship service.)

*Cato the Elder, _On Agriculture, 139, 140 ** Macrobius, Saturnalia Conversations 3.9.7: " Whether you are a god or a goddess who hold under your protection the people and city of Carthage, and you also, almighty god, who have taken under your protection this city and this people, to you I pray, you I implore, you I respectfully ask to abandon the people and city of Carthage, to desert their structures, temples, sanctuaries, and urban area, and to leave them..." Macrobius goes on to record offer of new temples and games (effectively sacrifices) if the god(s) of Carthage come over to the Roman side...