Re: Glorantha Digest V1 #142

From: The Virtual Ethnographer <bmason_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 22:42:47 -0330 (NST)

Hello, my name is Bruce Mason. I am an occasional contributor to the Digest and a PhD student in the Folklore Department at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Before Christmas I posted a message to the Digest to see if anyone objected to it being monitored as part of my research. As I had no objections, indeed I received many useful and insightful comments from Digesters (if there is such a word), I would like to take up a little more of your time and bandwidth with a questionnaire about you, Glorantha and the Digest. In return I will post back a summary of the responses I get by the end of February so we can get some idea of who we are. I will also make available an online version of a paper I intend to write by April dealing with the digest for all who are interested.

I do not want to take up much space describing myself or my research but I'll happily answer any personal email. Basically my research focuses on the communicative possibilities available via the Internet with the Glorantha Digest as a case study.

With the questionnaire please feel free to be as concise or as expansive as you wish. All responses will be kept anonymous of course. Thank you for your time. Finally please *DO NOT* respond to the Digest but to me personally.

		GLORANTHA DIGEST SURVEY: FEBRUARY 1995
                ======================================
All information to be kept confidential. Please only answer questions you feel comfortable answering.
A):INFO ABOUT YOURSELF
1) Your name:
2) E-mail address:
3) Age:      Gender:
4) Profession:
5) Marital status:
6) Country of origin/current residence:

B):INFO ABOUT YOU AND GLORANTHA

  1. How long ago did you first get involved with Glorantha? 1a) How much time do you spend dealing with things Gloranthan?
  2. How did you first get involved with Glorantha?
  3. Do you roleplay in Glorantha? (If answer no please skip to B4)
  3a) Which rpg system(s) do you use?
  3b) How long have you been roleplaying for?
  3c) Do you roleplay in other world backgrounds as well?
  3d) What do you enjoy most about roleplaying in Glorantha?
  3e) What do you enjoy least about roleplaying in Glorantha?
  3f) How often do you roleplay in Glorantha?
  3g) Do you mostly GM or play?
  3h) Who is your favourite character to roleplay?  (Feel free to provide
       stats, anecdotes, background etc.)

4) Have you ever been to RQ and/or Glorantha conferences? (If so what
       were your main interests and activities there?)

5) Which are your main geographical areas of interest in Glorantha?

6) Which time periods in Glorantha are your main interest?

7) In general what is the main thing about Glorantha which interests you?

8) If your were told that you were about to be reincarnated in Glorantha tomorrow morning with a free choice as to where, when and who: what would you choose?

9) Would you say you were a Glorantha fan? Please explain your answer.

  1. Do you own any Glorantha memorabilia? If so please describe.
  2. Any other info about Glorantha you would like to tell.

D): YOU AND THE DIGEST

  1. How do you receive the Digest? (Subscription or over the Net).
  2. How long have you been reading the Digest? (Please include The RQ:Digest and RQ:daily as ancestors of the current Digest)
  3. Do you contribute to the Digest? If so how often? 3a) What subjects do you contribute to most? 3b) What subjects do you contribute to the least?
  4. How much time do you spend weekly, reading and/or contributing to the Digest?
  5. Which subject has interested you the most on the Digest?
  6. Which subject has interested you the least?
  7. Are there any contributors you find more interesting than others? If so why?
  8. What would you say is the Digest's biggest strength?
  9. What would you say is the Digest's biggest weakness?
  10. Do you save copies of the Digest?
  11. MISCELLANY
  12. If Greg Stafford were to ask you to e-mail him a piece of advice about what to do next to Glorantha, what would you send?
  13. Do you know the God Learner's Secret?
  14. Please describe yourself in Gloranthan terms. (Eg I have Storm Bullish tendencies but...)
  15. Are you willing to answer further questions by personal e-mail?
    • --------------------oooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-----------------

Just a reminder that this is part of an ethnographic project. If there's anything you don't want me to use please let me know.

Bruce Mason, Folklore Dept., M.U.N., St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Day ph. (709) 737 8477/2166 home ph. (709) 576 3110