Second Age Illumination

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 13 Feb 95 02:53:23 EST

Alex writes:

> If this charge is correct, then Illumination must have been fairly
> readily achievable during said three generations, no? No Illumination,
> no resultant social problem.

A big if. Remember the Trial of Socrates? These shirt-lifting arse-bandit philosophers hang around all day, talking rubbish, groping our sons, and insulting Our Way of Doing Things. If we need a scapegoat because we're feeling bad about losing a war (or whatever), it's easy enough to pin all manner of imagined crimes on them, kill them, and feel good and self- righteous about it afterwards.

(It helps the poor philosophers feel more important, too: martyrdom has that effect on the most unlikely people. BTW, more Athenian jurors voted for Socrates to suffer the death penalty than had cast their votes to say he was guilty of any alleged 'crimes' in the first place!).

Nick