YT (sorry)

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 13 Feb 95 18:15:10 EST

Nigel Smith writes:

> After this ceremony the regiment splits into its component parts and
> each group goes to worship its prefered god(dess). Few know this
> because only initiates of the cult attend.

But if this were so, then nobody could be an initiate of both Granite Phalanx and Yanafal Tarnils: you'd have to attend the worship service of one or the other. Christmas Day falls on Dec 25th precisely to exploit this issue: "If you're going to his party, you can't come to mine!"

> Here follows a party political broadcast...*Bring Back Lay Membership!*

I agree, completely. But I don't think it ever went, really: it was just passed over in silence. Lay membership is *vital* for casual polytheism.

GAWINTER is asking the kind of questions I'm trying *not* to provide definitive answers to, as the Lunar Army is a very homogenous bunch and different units come from entirely different national/ethnic traditions. Which means some RQ players will have encountered legates, optios and centurions; others generals, colonels and captains; others strategoi, lochagoi etc.; with various levels of unit organisation beneath. Passing over the "translation" issue, as far as I'm concerned these are all valid approaches for individual units in the army to follow. Be he centurion, lochagos or hetmen, YT will accept worship from anyone!

The Roman army was not a Greek army (hoplites, peltasts, etc.); and the peltasts are hardly "special units". There are some units in the Lunar army which look like Romans, others like Greeks, and others have no good terrestrial analogue. The Phalanxes look more Greek, the Provincial units more Roman (in my mind's eye) -- though *nobody* is as good at manipular manoeuvres as the Roman Army of the late Republic/early Empire. Sandy has rightly said that without magic, the Romans would beat the Lunars hands down -- the Roman "magic" is in their discipline, order, standards, etc.

I play that a Dragon Pass counter (and a standalone Regimental Cult) has somewhere around a thousand men (infantry) or five hundred men (cavalry). There's some really old ballpark estimates of mine on the RQ Daily from a couple of years ago; maybe somebody can dig them up.

Nick