Malkonwal and other problems...

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 17:49:25 GMT

Recently I've been running the Sorcerer adventure in STRANGERS IN PRAX. I had things running well when they asked the sorcerer's apprentice to describe how they came to arrive in Pavis.

"Wella, we were-a inna da city of Malkonwal, famous holy city, yes. We go there onna da pilgrimage, yes."

And at this point one of the player's asks if they know where that is. Make a World Lore roll. Made a special. Hmm he should at least know the general area

So I reach for the Genertela book and the map that goes with it...

Could I find the holy city of Malkonwal? Could I buggery? Anyone know which map it's on? Which countries it lies near? Help!

On another (and perhaps slightly rules-mechanical point) some players in another game were wondering why anyone, anywhere chooses to base his culture on sorcery

If a peasant who has learnt a little sorcery meets with a barbarian who has learnt a little Spirit Magic, what happens?

The civilised peasant has say three spells with a chance of working of less than 25%. The barbarian has say three spells with a chance of working of 55% (with average POW).

So the chances are that the peasant faces the ehanced barbarian with no magical aid. The barbarian has Bladesharp up and can very likely heal himself during combat. (The peasant can't even do this at all: you need Duration to make Treat Wounds work.)

AND the civilised peasant has no Intensity so he can't do anything worse than 1 point of damage with his Venom spell. The barbarian's Disrupt does 1d3 for the same cost with much greater reliability.

So how do sorcerous cultures survive?

On the Bad Humakti theme: I recently had a player who (out of sheer stupidity) allowed a Storm Bull character to be killed and eaten by Ogres. There was no excuse except total brain-deadness for this. The Storm Bull had been drugged and the character instead of taking him to the rest of the party chose instead to climb a tree and leave the unconscious SB at the base of the tree. He was very surprised to awaken the next morning with no memory of the night, no sign of the Storm Bull and strange scratches on his back....

He found that whenever he went out of doors a small cloud of dust, a minature desert storm, would form about his head. People began to refer to him as "the Man-and-a-Half-cursed-by-Storm-Bull". Eventually he went down a chaos pit and succeeded in aiding the killing of a Thanatar priest. When he came back I gave him a dream in which his dead comrade came down from Storm Bull's Heaven to give him the Bull's (provisional) forgiveness.

What surprised me was that the player then volunteered to become a SB himself. (He was a Hunter.)

Just a story....