Hon-Eel

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 21:45:43 GMT

Alison Place says,
> Alex Ferguson says, "I'd personally say that Hon-eel doesn't have
> a Grain Goddess (in the GL/GoG sense) aspect."

> Her Grain Goddess aspect is based on the article "The Fifth, or Hon-eel's
> Wane", published by Greg in 'Heroes', Vol. 1 no.6.

My statement is true pretty much by definition, since the GoG writeup says, or strongly implies, that she isn't one. At a push, Pel(or)a and Hon-Eel could be cults overlapping in their function, or be worshipped in different areas, or GoG could be In Error, Since Gregged, or just somewhat misleading. But I think that instead, they have different roles. This doesn't answer the interesting question, of course, to wit: What are their respective roles?

> This definitely makes Hon-eel the agricultural goddess responsible for grain.

She's the cultural hero responsible for maize, which isn't the same thing as being the diety responsible for growing the stuff (or other stuff, indeed), which GoG indicates is Pela.

> As an earth cultist turned goddess, she would have all the normal earth
> fertility powers to remain patroness of her new crop.

I don't think that follows, though it could be that she is worshipped (in her agricultural aspect) as a hero cult/sub cult of Pela.

In any event, she seems, as I previously said, likely to provide (some unspecified) additional magic, which one might is specifically related to maize. Any maize-growers in the audience care to shed light on any distinct agricultural techniques used for this crop?

Alex.