Gaydom, and Chalanaism.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 95 23:08:20 GMT

Sandy gets alarmed that I suggest:
> > Perhaps we should compell Sandy to produce the canonical list of
> > such incurable, non-transmissable diseases

> Hey?! I never said they had a _list_.

Nope, but you will if we Compell you. Or maybe not, but the attempt's bound to be entertaining.

> Well, "Suspected
> Foreigner" isn't one of them, because "Foreigner". in the Kralori
> eyes, is definitely transmissible, though of course incurable.

Ah, I sit corrected. I suppose that makes sense, in view of their Isolation Island approach. Though the fact that they eventually let people _out_ of same would apparently suggest that either the condition _is_ curable, or that not everyone from abroad has it. Or maybe some have a non-contagious strain?

> In general, the East Isles tend to
> be less hostile towards gaydom than the Doraddi -- some tribes and
> villages of Doraddi are pretty much unfriendly, though I don't think
> any regard it as a capital offense.

The thought occurs that if (some) Doraddi follow the shamanic genderreversal  customs known elsewhere, this may make them _less_ tolerant of it otherwise. Or this may be confusing cause and effect, it could be that more strictly-demarkated localities give rise to such customs.

Returning to the Orlanthi for a mo', I note that According To Greg <brief genuflexion>, the Vikings were particularly exercised about _passive_ homosexual acts (considering imputations of being a thuslyinclined  individual it a less-than-mortal-but-only-just insult). I suspect this gives weight to my thought that among the Orlanthi, it's not so much an immoral practice as an "unmanly" one (being "used like a woman", as it were). Perhaps one could be booted out of the Orlanth _cult_ for same, but still live among the Orlanthi in a less MBS-infused social niche.

Active homosexual acts may be thought of, along with availing oneself of passing livestock, as a sub-optimal, but less noteworthily shameful, form of recreation. Stranger things happening at sea, etc.

> I, too, concur that the whole culture accepting vegetarianism
> would be nigh-unto impossible, and put forth that the CA vegetarian
> beliefs are considered harsh and difficult to adhere to.

Obviously True, I feel. Contrariwise, in Peloria it'd be much easier, and I suspect is a less important (possibly non-existant) restriction for Pelorian CA chaps and chapesses. Though to make up for this bit of luck, I bet they have others, maybe relating to other aspects of "moral" behaviour, such as the sexual. Erissans may have a somewhat nun-like (or Florence Nightingale-like?) role in Dara Happa, I hereby speculate.

> I would expect that members of the cult of Eiritha (i.e.,
> everybody, at least at lay membership) are _required_ to eat the
> flesh of a herd animal during certain times of the year.

I don't see why this would be any sort of ritual obligation. It'd be a bit like requiring Magasta worshippers to ritually get wet. I do agree that living in a Praxian tribe without eating meat is still a practicable impossibility, as I doubt animal milk and skullbush seeds is exactly a balanced diet.

I don't think of vegetarianism as necessarily universal among CA types, but I do believe it's (at least) the norm in the Dragon Pass area, so I concur with Sandy that a significant CA presence in the Praxian tribes is unlikely, unless CA missionaries turned up from some other area which has a less strict policy.

Alex.