Short Correction

From: Takehiro OHYA <KFC01067_at_niftyserve.or.jp>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 12:31:00 +0900

Takehiro OHYA speaking.

Sandy Petersen:
> One last blow for CA vegetarianism
> I note that Takehiro has weighed in on my side, pointing out
> that lots of Japanese are complete vegetarians. Then Brian Pinch
> agrees with me that the CA probably sets up ranks: people > animals >
> plants. Since they don't _have_ to eat animals, they don't.

Sorry, some corrections. Japanese "were incomplete" vegetarians.

First: since Japanese lifestyle was very westernized after the Meiji revolution (especially after the W.W.2), most Japanese are now complete non-vegetarians. I, for instance, like very much eating meats, even more than fish.

Second: the traditional Japanese ate fish. Only those who followed the most strict religeous law (such as Zen-soh (the monks of Zen)) didn't eat any fish. If a peasant do not eat any fish or egg, it means that he is so poor that he cannot afford such expencive food. Thus, the ranks maybe be set up like this: people > animals > fishes > plants.

As for the CAs, I agree with Sandy.
Whether they can eat fishes or not is controversial, but it is sure that they don't want to eat them.
I suppose they can eat unfertilized eggs or drink milk since they don't harm the live of others.
(Some vegetarians of India keeps their most strict rules that does  not allow their followers to drink some milk.)

Takehiro OHYA _at_ College of Arts and Sciences The Univ. of Tokyo

End of Glorantha Digest V1 #146