Re: A question about the RQ Digest...

From: owner-glorantha_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 10:52:03 EST

Hi Brent,

>I subscribe to the RQ Digest (you're the list administrator for it,
>right?) and I was wondering if it is possible to get it in
>non-digested form kinda like the RQ rules discussion list (I can't
>remember its real name).

I believe you mean the glorantha-digest, right? I'm ccing this to the digest for others who may have the same question.

Obviously the single-message-at-a-time version is generated, but I will only distribute the digest. IMHO digest form does several very nice things for us.

  1. it keeps parity between people with direct internet connections and those with overseas, uucp, compuserve, and aol connections. Because our most productive contributors are overseas or do not have direct internet connections I definitely do not want to favor US internet subscribers over others.
  2. it reduces the amount of duplicate information that you inevitably get on direct-reflecting lists because of message lag.
  3. I noticed when comparing the old rq-daily-digest to the g.r.a.s.s. list that the content of digested lists was usually higher quality than direct-reflecting lists, and that it encouraged lurkers to participate fully. I didn't want to lose these features with the glorantha list so I made it available only in digested form.
  4. I get about 100 bounces a day from the digest. If it were a direct list I'd get 400 to 1000 bounces. It would no longer be any fun to administrate.
    • -- +++++++++++++++++++++++23 Loren Miller LOREN_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu Life at the water's edge is the real life for men and women