Some philisophical questions . . .

From: rstaats_at_mail.lmi.org
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 07:50:21 EST

     Greetings!

        Just wanted to pose a few questions to the assembled Runemasters of
     Truth here on the Daily.  ;-)

        The first three questions all revolve around the role of Chaos in
     the world.  There was a good amount of discussion about this a year or
     so ago, and as Nick Brooke pointed out ``chaos is a perfectly safe
     power source when used under the right circumstances.''  ;-)

        First question, although I can visualize why some of our mortal,
     imaginary friends in Glorantha might be swayed to choose the path of
     Chaos for apparent personal gain, I've never understood how the
     gods/desses were corrupted by Chaos.  These celestial beings must see
     the destructive nature of Chaos.  Why would they willingly turn to it?
      :-O  Consider Mallia, why would she choose the path of Chaos?  (I
     understand that she is less ``affected'' than say Vivamort or
     Than-Aytar, but still, why would she accept it at all?)

        Second question, under what circumstances do you feel that a Chaos
     taint could be removed?  Based on previous statements in the Daily, I
     know there are some folks who would say ``never!''  For the record, in
     the Campaign I ran I allowed such taints, accidentally acquired to be
     removed, but it was in the Hero-Quest range of difficulty.

        Third question with a substantial lead in, I've noticed a lot of
     ontological duality in Glorantha, and from various snippets and hints,
     there seems to be an underlying notion of a unity of
     magic-matter-spirit at some ``higher level.''  (Analogous to the
     matter-energy & space-time relations.)  How does Chaos fit into this
     schema?  (The answer must be deeper than ``it doesn't.'')  Time seems
     to be loosely linked to the resurgence of Chaos from the Void
     surrounding Glorantha, i.e. Entropy == Chaos in the cosmological
     sense.  Mythological speaking, since there was no way to measure
     ``time'' before the Dawning, in Gloranthan terms everything prior to
     it could be consider simultaneous.

        Fourth question, what is the Humakti version of the creation story?

        Hope this generates some interesting discussions.

        In service,

        Rich