Broken Council Writeup - Saratin Seomale

From: NDROBINS_at_NDROBINS.FIN.GOV.BC.CA
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 95 10:03:55 PST

What with all these subjective reports coming out, I thought that it was time to post something more accurate. :-)

Broken Council Writeup: Saritin Seomale

Yes children, you wish to hear about the ascension of Osentalka, and my humble part in it. There were times when all came to me for advice, but now it is just you coming for stories. Ah, but that is just a part of the cycle of life. Soon it will be my time to return to the soil that I sprang from so many, many seasons ago.

Back in the Green Age, Yelmalio shone brightly, providing his wonderful light for all Aldryami and Flamal's children to enjoy. I was one of those. It was a glorious time for all, full of peace and harmony. Unfortunately, that blessed time was not to last. Evil entered the world with the Black Eater, that which you call Zorak Zoran. Unable to face the pureness of Yelmalio's light, the Eater rose up and consumed him. A foul darkness covered the world, and I lay down for what I expected to be my final sleep.

No, no child, do not cringe so. That time is long, long, ago. Yelmalio and Osentalka will ensure that you will never have to face such evil. Now, where was I? Oh, yes, thank you. Cryanon isn't it? A noble name, I remember another who bore your name. He was... oh, sorry, my mind tends to wander at times.

After a long sleep, I woke in a strange forest. Above me in the sky was a pale image of Yelmalio. Yes, he had returned to give his wonderous light to his people again. But the Black Eater had stolen much of his strength, and his light seemed dim to me. Still, he was back, and I travelled the lands looking to help Aldryami's people. The darkness was not kind to us. Those like Lestus Creeping Ivy braved the darkness to keep our forests safe, but they could only do so much. The forests of the Green Age had sadly dwindled.

The cycles before the time of the council went quickly. I travelled from forest to forest to aid those I could, and finally settled down in the Talaster Forest as their Light Son. Taris Sharpthorn, High King of the forest, made me welcome. I tried to expand the forest, but was hindered by new creatures. Fire people, who lives seem like a flicker, settled and grew like wildfire. They even tried to cut down our forest. Darkness people, foul slaves of the Black Eater, led raids on my people. Only, with the strength and light of Yelmalio could we beat them back.

Then I had a vision. A dream of peace and harmony, where Yelmalio was restored to his former glory and the forests covered the land as they once did. Enlightened, I entered into the Second Council, and was given the position as the Earth Speaker for the council. I hoped to reunite the Aldryami and the forests that each came from. Alas, that is one thing we never truly managed.

You must understand, children, that the fire people, the dragon people, the stone people, and especially the darkness people think differently than we do. All were in great haste to accomplish the deed. The meetings took place over a mere twenty cycles, and I found it difficult to keep up with the pace. The fire people and darkness people united to remove me from the inner council, and Taris lost his position as the council's Herald too. We Aldryami had united to try and get our voices heard, but were unsuccessful. Disheartened, I moved away from the council politicking. I needed to clear my thoughts and think about how I would make Osentalka a god for light and harmony.

I travelled to the Dara Happan court to meet fellow worshippers of Light. There I met Mathiman, a true friend. He fully understood the glory of Yelmalio, though he named him Antirus. In my vision, I had seen us united under a restored Yelmalio, and I offered him my aid. Mathiman served the Emperor Khorzanelm, but revealed to me that he was actually the true heir to the Empire. An honourable man,
he served the emperor and the light, even if he deserved the post himself. When Khorzanelm was foully slain by a darkness person, Mathiman stepped in and took his rightful place as Emperor thus putting to an end any potential disorder. I rejoiced, for as the Dara Happan emperor, he could use his strength to help create a most glorious Osentalka.

What, you haven't heard of Mathiman? Oh, they called him Mathiman the Impaler. I think that had something to do with the way he ate his food. Anyway, his vision was so true, that a stone person, or Mostali, named Isidilian the wise, converted to the worship of the radiant sun. Any bad actions attributed to him are just the ramblings of jealous Emperors who tarnished his noble name.

While I spent time supporting my Dara Happan allies, the Uz, or darkness folk, defined that Osentalka was to be born a woman. All this argument about gender was beyond me anyway. Like Aldrya and Flamal, both males and females must work together to promote harmony, too much of one and we will suffer.

In the years between the council sessions, I travelled the lands, even venturing near the darkness lands to speak with trolls. With the light of Yelmalio inside me, and the vision of a reborn sun to come, I felt an inner strength I never knew I had. I tried to discover which darkness leader controlled the Uz of Yolp, for they were to blame for the raids into our forest. Meeting with each in turn, I managed to wrest agreements to leave our lands alone. I wielded the Golden Bow, and carried the Prism of Untainted Light, and I knew that those foul creatures of darkness could not harm me.

I also visited the fire people that lived in the surrounding lands, offering my support, but warning that further incursions into our forest would not be tolerated. At times the fire people are as wild as new-born runners, and must be shown a firm hand. Even the oftimes-wild Lokamayadon of the Biling and Arstor of Varastolar accepted my terms, and we were able to keep our forest free.

My old friend Seri-Phy-Ranor was worried. Dragonewts wished to build a magical road through his lands, and he feared that they would try to build a city too. I pledged my support if he needed it, and when the Dragonewt armies attacked, they were ready. Oh, but I get ahead of myself.

The dragonewts were a strange lot, doing one thing and then another. In fact, they even allowed Mathiman and I to determine Osentalka's Transformic Journey, even though the Dara Happan lands were struck with civil war.

Yes, child? Yes, they all worshipped the light, but the fire people have strange ideas about which light, and that always tends to set them fighting. As they fought, the Uz and Mostali battled for control of the council, and only the incomprehensible movings of the Sragonewts helped make Osentalka what she, or he, is today.

The other aldryami were busy. Throna Silverleaf seemed to spend much of her time with creatures of darkness, despite my objections. The members of the Inner Council realized Taris' worth, and he was re-elected as the Herald for the council. I talked often with Lestus, but he stood as stiff as an oak, unyielding on his expansionist goals. It is fortunate that Osentalka is able to control his urges, for he means well. And Roostin's common sense helped move more of the earth faction to support the cause of peace.

As the council neared conclusion, the stress of ruling an Empire must have been hard on Mathiman. The fire people have lives like sparks, glowing brightly, but are all too soon extinguished. I'm not really sure why, or how, but I ended up being in charge of many Dara Happan troops and magics. I would not fail my ally and spiritual twin.

The Dragonewts quickly turned from allies to enemies, as they suddenly started moving troops to Doraster. I had a chance to talk to one of their leaders, and he began babbling about a seat in council, and stopping the god from having a 'self', or soul. I knew that a crisis was at hand. Taris and I moved our Aldryami forces to stop them, and with the mostali and others, we did. I used my control of the Dara Happan forces to ready them as well.

As the dragonewts attacked, the council was getting into its final session. We were going to determine the most important part of Osentalka, the self. Leaving the troops in the capable hands of their leaders, I headed in to vote. If the self wasn't a self of light and harmony, all my work and dreams would fade to darkness.

I had been talking to a few other worshippers of the light, including Palangio, a former warlord of the Dara Happan emperor, and Sharan Cho, an ambassador from Kralorela. They both realized that we must unite to prevent Osentalka becoming a deity of darkness. Palangio urged that the god be a strong fighter, and I agreed. The god must protect the people in times of need, and destroy those who oppose us - a defender of peace and harmony.

My fellow Aldramyi and other earth worshippers realized that the creation of a darkness deity would be their undoing, and agreed to support us in the creation of the self if we were to guarantee that Osentalka stood for harmony. Together with Kestinelm and Holy Estorex, other Dara Happan, we negotiated how to define the Osentalka's self. Later I learned that Kestinelm was not fulfilling all the demands of his emperor and my kindred spirit Mathiman, but at the time I was too rushed to check. It was a hectic, hectic time indeed.

As the final vote arrived, our enemies began showing their true form. My light allies were being pulled away in attempts to prevent us from voting. I took charge of our votes until the others managed to return. And, as the final vote was tallied, the votes for light were as numerous as leaves on this oak. Praise Yelmalio! True to our agreement, Kestinelm acted as our representative and defined the myth of self.

While we created Osentalka's self of light and harmony, the fighting outside grew worse. Our troops were holding the dragonewts and their fire people mercenaries at bay, but the Sibilant Tongue of Ouroboros transformed into a full dragon and attacked. Twice did the dragon attack, and twice was he repelled by an elder giant summoned by the giant Gonn Orta, another champion for peace. In recognition of his acts, he was named one of the tutors of Osentalka. The other one was Yrope, high priestess of Dorasta, and a very deserving lady.

So, there you have it. That is why Yelmalio regained some of his former glory, and why the darkness folk and fire people do not fight us. The peace and Harmony of Osentalka watches over us all.

No, no more stories today. I am tired, and wish to enjoy Yelmalio's glow before it sets once more. You young ones still have the energy of Flamal. And I expect to see all of you tomorrow to celebrate the rising of Yelmalio. Now run along, and may his light shine on all of you.

Neil Robinson NDROBINS_at_NDROBINS.FIN.GOV.BC.CA